all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to prevent window splitting when opening multiple files on  command line
@ 2009-04-07 19:14 Kristi Tsukida
From: Kristi Tsukida @ 2009-04-07 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, I was wondering how to prevent emacs from splitting the window when
opening multiple files on the command line.  For example, running "emacs
file1 file2" opens emacs with a split window showing file1 and file2.  I
want to just see file1.  Thanks in advance.

* Re: How to prevent window splitting when opening multiple files on command line
       [not found] <mailman.4853.1239167381.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-04-08  7:09 ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2009-04-08  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 12:14:02 -0700, Kristi Tsukida <kristi.tsukida@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I was wondering how to prevent emacs from splitting the window
> when opening multiple files on the command line.  For example, running
> "emacs file1 file2" opens emacs with a split window showing file1 and
> file2.  I want to just see file1.  Thanks in advance.

If I am reading the code of the `command-line-1' function correctly,
then this is not currently possible.  This function runs:

  (if (= file-count 1)
      (setq first-file-buffer (find-file file))
    (find-file-other-window file)))

so if there are multiple filename arguments it will unconditionally call
`find-file-other-window'.

* Re: How to prevent window splitting when opening multiple files on command line
@ 2009-04-08  8:33 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-04-08  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristi Tsukida; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.04.2009 um 21:14 schrieb Kristi Tsukida:

> For example, running "emacs file1 file2" opens emacs with a split
> window showing file1 and file2.  I want to just see file1.

Don't give the second name on the command line!

Another option: start emacs-server and use emacsclient to send files
to GNU Emacs. As in, for example (more BSD than Linux):

	apply emacsclient file1 file2

or

	apply 'emacsclient <options>' file1 file2

This can also be used with loops in your shell.

--
Greetings

   Pete

$ sumascii BILL GATES
   B   I   L   L   G   A   T   E   S
  66+ 73+ 76+ 76+ 71+ 65+ 84+ 69+ 83 = 663

  and add 3 because he's Bill Gates the third.

* Re: How to prevent window splitting when opening multiple files on command line
@ 2009-04-08 11:40 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2009-04-08 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristi Tsukida; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Kristi Tsukida <kristi.tsukida@gmail.com> wrote:

> "emacs file1 file2" opens emacs with a split window showing file1 and
> file2.  I want to just see file1.

emacs -eval "(progn (mapc 'find-file (reverse command-line-args-left))
(setq command-line-args-left nil))" file1 file2

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher