all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: David Engster <deng@randomsample.de>
To: David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com>
Cc: Ian Eure <ian@digg.com>, Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu>,
	Emacs Development <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: gcc 4.2 dump problems
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 15:18:49 +0200	[thread overview]

I'm reviving this old thread, since I'm now facing the same problem with
the arrival of Mac OS X 10.6...

David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:
> On Aug 6, 2009, at 2:24 PM, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
>> I don't use gcc-4.2 anymore, but I've never seen such problems with it
>> on GNU/Linux while using it.
>>
>> How did you determine that gcc-4.2 is the problem?
>
> See Ian Eure's post to bug 3708 for this.  He installed GCC 4.2 on a
> 10.5 machine and obtained similar results.
> The error messages differ at times, but they do that on the 10.6
> machine that I tried it on, too.
> (Building with 4.0 on 10.5 works fine.)

I consistently get the same error on 10.6, and it's the one with

unexec: unrecognized section name in __DATA segment

This unrecognized section in the DATA segment is called
"__program_vars", and I cannot find any documentation for it. It's not
mentioned in the Mach-O File Format Reference at all, even in the latest
XCode I installed from the Developer Connection.

So my guess is that unexecmacosx.c has to be patched to deal correctly
with that section. I don't know the first thing about this dumping
process, but I simply tried to include it in the section where
__la_symbol_ptr and __nl_symbol_ptr are handled, and it didn't work...

-David