all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Custom themes and precedence
@ 2011-09-22 23:59 Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-09-22 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

I thought I'd use themes to store groups of settings that should take
effect in specific circumstances; for example, on machine X, I have a
fonts not available elsewhere and I'd like to use those by default when
on machine X.  So I programmatically look for a theme based on the
machine name and if found, I enable it.

I customized default-frame-alist in the theme for machine X... which
worked fine until I customized default-frame-alist "non-themedly"
somewhere else.  That caused the new setting to go into the "user" theme
*which takes precedence over all others*.  That last bit isn't working
out so well for my use-case.  Should this usage be accomodated, is it
outside the intended applications of themes, or...?

TIA,

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: Custom themes and precedence
@ 2011-10-01 17:58 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-10-01 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: emacs-devel

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> I customized default-frame-alist in the theme for machine X... which
> worked fine until I customized default-frame-alist "non-themedly"
> somewhere else.  That caused the new setting to go into the "user" theme
> *which takes precedence over all others*.  That last bit isn't working
> out so well for my use-case.  Should this usage be accomodated, is it
> outside the intended applications of themes, or...?

Non-theme customization settings are intended to take precedence over
theme settings.  The idea is that if you load a theme that's not written
by you, it is easy to use Customize to override some of its settings.
I think I understand the problem you have, but I don't have any easy
solution.

* Re: Custom themes and precedence
@ 2011-10-01 18:27   ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-10-01 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

on Sat Oct 01 2011, Chong Yidong <cyd-AT-stupidchicken.com> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
>> I customized default-frame-alist in the theme for machine X... which
>> worked fine until I customized default-frame-alist "non-themedly"
>> somewhere else.  That caused the new setting to go into the "user" theme
>> *which takes precedence over all others*.  That last bit isn't working
>> out so well for my use-case.  Should this usage be accomodated, is it
>> outside the intended applications of themes, or...?
>
> Non-theme customization settings are intended to take precedence over
> theme settings.  The idea is that if you load a theme that's not written
> by you, it is easy to use Customize to override some of its settings.

I guess the question is, what about themes that *are* written by me,
that I may want to switch on or off programmatically?

> I think I understand the problem you have, but I don't have any easy
> solution.

I know there's no easy solution within the code as-is.  I guess I'm
asking whether my desire for adjustable theme precedence ought to be
accomodated.

--

@ 2011-10-02  2:04     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-10-02  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

>>> I customized default-frame-alist in the theme for machine X... which
>>> worked fine until I customized default-frame-alist "non-themedly"
>>> somewhere else.  That caused the new setting to go into the "user" theme
>>> *which takes precedence over all others*.  That last bit isn't working
>>> out so well for my use-case.  Should this usage be accomodated, is it
>>> outside the intended applications of themes, or...?
>> Non-theme customization settings are intended to take precedence over
>> theme settings.  The idea is that if you load a theme that's not written
>> by you, it is easy to use Customize to override some of its settings.
> I guess the question is, what about themes that *are* written by me,
> that I may want to switch on or off programmatically?

One approach is to encourage such users to put all their customizations
into themes (i.e. avoid the "user" theme).

* Re: Custom themes and precedence
@ 2011-10-02  8:40       ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-10-02  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

on Sat Oct 01 2011, Stefan Monnier <monnier-AT-iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>>> Non-theme customization settings are intended to take precedence over
>>> theme settings.  The idea is that if you load a theme that's not written
>>> by you, it is easy to use Customize to override some of its settings.
>> I guess the question is, what about themes that *are* written by me,
>> that I may want to switch on or off programmatically?
>
> One approach is to encourage such users to put all their customizations
> into themes (i.e. avoid the "user" theme).

Heh.  Is that easier in Emacs24 than it is in 23?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing