all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to debug functions depending on (current-time)?
@ 2015-07-15 20:16 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-07-15 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw

Hi all,

I have a bunch of functions depending on (current-time), and I'm
wondering how to test/debug them.  Is it safe to (temporarily) redefine
`current-time'?  Maybe it's better to do that in a separate Emacs
instance?  I could of course change their source code for the time of
debugging, but this still lefts the problem of testing (esp. automatic
testing) open.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: How to debug functions depending on (current-time)?
       [not found] <mailman.6969.1436991395.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-07-15 20:47 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2015-07-15 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Hi all,
>
> I have a bunch of functions depending on (current-time), and I'm
> wondering how to test/debug them.  Is it safe to (temporarily) redefine
> `current-time'?  Maybe it's better to do that in a separate Emacs
> instance?  I could of course change their source code for the time of
> debugging, but this still lefts the problem of testing (esp. automatic
> testing) open.

Any problem in programming can be solved by one more level of
indirection.

(defvar *my-current-time-function* 'current-time)
(defun my-current-time-function () (funcall *my-current-time-function*))

(defvar *test-time* 0)
(when testing
  (let ((*my-current-time-function* (lambda () (incf *test-time*))))
    (test)))

* Re: How to debug functions depending on (current-time)?
@ 2015-07-15 21:44 ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2015-07-15 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw

On 15/07/2015 22:16 +0200, Marcin Borkowski wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a bunch of functions depending on (current-time), and I'm
> wondering how to test/debug them.  Is it safe to (temporarily) redefine
> `current-time'?  Maybe it's better to do that in a separate Emacs
> instance?  I could of course change their source code for the time of
> debugging, but this still lefts the problem of testing (esp. automatic
> testing) open.

As your code may use some builtin functions which use current-time, this
won't be reliable.

So I'd do what Pascal suggested.

Filipp

* Re: How to debug functions depending on (current-time)?
@ 2015-07-15 22:23   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-07-15 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com>
writes:

> Any problem in programming can be solved by one more
> level of indirection.

You better believe it.

--
underground experts united