all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Apple Events
@ 2011-02-14 19:08 Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-02-14 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm trying to get some old code working again.  I'm guessing this worked in Emacs 22.

The hook I have redefines mac-ae-get-url to catch what I think are called "Apple Events" but I can't find anything about Apple Events in the Emacs 23 code (so far).

There is another reference to a mac-win.el file that I found when I googled mac-ae-get-url but I don't have that either nor is it in the normal distribution.

Any pointers to help in this should would be appreciated.

Perry

* Re: Apple Events
@ 2011-02-14 20:12 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.12.1297715529.9905.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-02-14 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.02.2011 um 20:08 schrieb Perry Smith:

> The hook I have redefines mac-ae-get-url to catch what I think are
> called "Apple Events" but I can't find anything about Apple Events
> in the Emacs 23 code (so far).
>
> There is another reference to a mac-win.el file that I found when I
> googled mac-ae-get-url but I don't have that either nor is it in the
> normal distribution.

You can start reading this thread and find mac-win.el archived
(developed) here: ftp://ftp.math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp/emacs.

This should also point to mac-win.el: http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-xemacs/index.html

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Theory and practice are the same, in theory, but, in practice, they
are different.

* Re: Apple Events
@ 2011-02-14 20:31   ` Perry Smith
       [not found]   ` <mailman.12.1297715529.9905.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-02-14 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 14, 2011, at 2:12 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 14.02.2011 um 20:08 schrieb Perry Smith:
>
>> The hook I have redefines mac-ae-get-url to catch what I think are called "Apple Events" but I can't find anything about Apple Events in the Emacs 23 code (so far).
>>
>> There is another reference to a mac-win.el file that I found when I googled mac-ae-get-url but I don't have that either nor is it in the normal distribution.
>

> You can start reading this thread and find mac-win.el archived (developed) here: ftp://ftp.math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp/emacs.
>
> This should also point to mac-win.el: http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-xemacs/index.html

Thanks for the help.

I went and downloaded emacs-22.3 and it has mac-win.el and also has mac.c.

In emacs-23.2, mac.c is gone that there is now nsterm.m and nsterm.h which connects to ns-win.el.  (ns is for NextStep I presume -- what Apple came from.  Curiously, there is a reference to "GNU Window system" somewhere in one of the comments.  Is that going to be NextStep as well?)

In any case, my task now is to figure out how to port my code from emacs-22.3 to emacs-23.2.  Control-T doesn't seem to be quite enough :-)

Wish me luck :-)

Perry

* Re: Apple Events
@ 2011-02-14 22:30     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-02-14 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.02.2011 um 21:31 schrieb Perry Smith:

> I went and downloaded emacs-22.3 and it has mac-win.el and also has
> mac.c.

I made a mistake by forgetting the URL to the eMail thread: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/113590
.

The FTP server I mentioned has a developed mac-win.el file. It can be
found for example in emacs-23.2.93-mac-1.9991.tar.gz.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Evolution"            o           __o                     _o _
           °\___o      /0~         -\<,              ^\___ /=\\_/-%
oo~_______ /\ /\______/ \_________O/ O_______________o===>-->O--o____

* Re: Apple Events
@ 2011-02-15  0:49       ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-02-15  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 14, 2011, at 4:30 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 14.02.2011 um 21:31 schrieb Perry Smith:
>
>> I went and downloaded emacs-22.3 and it has mac-win.el and also has mac.c.
>
> I made a mistake by forgetting the URL to the eMail thread: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/113590.
>
> The FTP server I mentioned has a developed mac-win.el file. It can be found for example in emacs-23.2.93-mac-1.9991.tar.gz.

Fantastic.  I got it working.

One thing I love about the emacs-23 --with-ns is that it puts all the goodies into Emacs.app.  So, I called configure with:

./configure --with-mac --enable-mac-app --prefix=/usr/local/src/emacs-23.2/mac/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources --exec_prefix=/usr/local/src/emacs-23.2/mac/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS

In my case, the build directory was /usr/local/src/emacs-23.2.  I haven't used it much but it appears that things are in the right place.

And I got my "txmt" URLs to pop me into emacs.

I'll put together a more complete how to for the Rails guys.  They may not want to use a modified emacs but at least they will have a choice.

One question: is there any effort to get this work moved into the standard distribution.  I'm a little confused with all this.  Seems like emacs-22 stock had it but now emacs-23 doesn't in favor of the Next Step method.  I don't know enough about the Mac to understand it all.  It just seems like understanding Apple Events is a nice feature to have.

Anyhow, thank you once again.

Perry

* Re: Apple Events
@ 2011-02-15 10:11         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-02-15 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.02.2011 um 01:49 schrieb Perry Smith:

> ./configure --with-mac --enable-mac-app --prefix=/usr/local/src/
> emacs-23.2/mac/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources --exec_prefix=/usr/local/
> src/emacs-23.2/mac/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS

I don't see why --prefix= and --exec_prefix are useful... I prefer to
build the X client as well, so the "Mac" version does not need to be
self-contained.

> One question: is there any effort to get this work moved into the
> standard distribution.  I'm a little confused with all this.  Seems
> like emacs-22 stock had it but now emacs-23 doesn't in favor of the
> Next Step method.

The developer of the AppKit+Carbon variant claims that a merger will
happen.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?
				- Tom Stoppard

* Re: Apple Events
@ 2011-02-15 11:50 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2011-02-15 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-02-15 03:08 +0800, Perry Smith wrote:
> The hook I have redefines mac-ae-get-url to catch what I think are
> called "Apple Events" but I can't find anything about Apple Events in
> the Emacs 23 code (so far).

I curious about how you make use of Apple Event. Could you give an
example? For example, is it possible to use it to make Emacs recognise
apple remote?

Thanks.
Leo

* Re: Apple Events
@ 2011-02-15 15:59   ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-02-15 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 15, 2011, at 5:50 AM, Leo wrote:

> On 2011-02-15 03:08 +0800, Perry Smith wrote:
>> The hook I have redefines mac-ae-get-url to catch what I think are
>> called "Apple Events" but I can't find anything about Apple Events in
>> the Emacs 23 code (so far).
>
> I curious about how you make use of Apple Event. Could you give an
> example? For example, is it possible to use it to make Emacs recognise
> apple remote?

I don't know really much what I'm doing.  Peter seems more knowledgeable on
the Mac interface.

This URL:

http://groups.google.com/group/merb/browse_thread/thread/b647138d9fe79a74

has the small lisp function that I use to interpret the txmt "protocol".  I also
updated a "how to" on this group:

http://groups.google.com/group/emacs-on-rails/browse_frm/thread/11c7e1562fa3e908

I hope this helps.

Perry

* Re: Apple Events
@ 2011-02-15 17:25     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-02-15 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Leo

Am 15.02.2011 um 16:59 schrieb Perry Smith:

> Peter seems more knowledgeable on the Mac interface.

But not on Apple Events (more on practical things).

--
Greetings

   Pete

We need a president who's fluent in at least one language.
				– Buck Henry

* Re: Apple Events
       [not found]   ` <mailman.12.1297715529.9905.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-02-16  2:51     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-02-16  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> In emacs-23.2, mac.c is gone that there is now nsterm.m and nsterm.h which
> connects to ns-win.el.  (ns is for NextStep I presume -- what Apple came
> from.

Not Apple: NeXTstep is the OS that was developed by NeXT when Steve
Jobs got kicked off Apple, and when he reintegrated Apple he brought it
back with him.  Mac OS X can be seen as a merge of Mac OS and NeXTstep.

> Curiously, there is a reference to "GNU Window system" somewhere in
> one of the comments.  Is that going to be NextStep as well?)

The API used for the NeXTstep port is also supported by GNUstep, so this
port can also support GNUstep, tho sadly this doesn't work very well
right now, mostly for lack of active users willing or able to help debug
and maintain it.

* Re: Apple Events
@ 2011-02-16  3:59       ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2011-02-16  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> In emacs-23.2, mac.c is gone that there is now nsterm.m and nsterm.h which
>> connects to ns-win.el.  (ns is for NextStep I presume -- what Apple came
>> from.
>
> Not Apple: NeXTstep is the OS that was developed by NeXT when Steve
> Jobs got kicked off Apple, and when he reintegrated Apple he brought it
> back with him.  Mac OS X can be seen as a merge of Mac OS and NeXTstep.

Not exactly.  Apple failed in it's development of Pink in collaboration
with IBM, and was in search of an alternative, desperately, since MacOS
had reached its limits since a few versions already.  At a time they
fancied buying BeOS, but Gassé (an ex-Apple guy) asked too much for his
company and OS.  Desperate, some Apple employees contacted some NeXT
employees to see if it would be envisageable that Apple buys NeXT and
progressively the idea bubbled up to the CEOs.  So finally, Apple
decided to buy NeXT Computer Inc, and along with the OS, replaced most
of its senior officers by NeXT's.

In a way, it's NeXTSTEP, bought by Apple, that brought Steve Jobs (and
Tenavian and others) with it.

>> Curiously, there is a reference to "GNU Window system" somewhere in
>> one of the comments.  Is that going to be NextStep as well?)
>
> The API used for the NeXTstep port is also supported by GNUstep, so this
> port can also support GNUstep, tho sadly this doesn't work very well
> right now, mostly for lack of active users willing or able to help debug
> and maintain it.

Also, a problem is that Apple keeps Cocoa evolving fast, and that the
standardized OpenStep core is becoming smaller and smaller relatively.
Therefore it's more and more difficult to write an application that may
compile on both Cocoa and GNUstep.