all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Performance problem with keyboard macros and C-n
@ 2020-11-10  0:18 Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2020-11-10  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Reddit someone pointed to a performance problem with a keyboard
macro. I investigated it a bit more and found that it was caused by an
interaction between C-n and some programming modes.

Basically, the macro is extremely slow if C-n is used to move between
lines and the macro is run in python-mode or c-mode.  However, it is
very fast if fundamental-mode is used or if forward-line is used to move
to the next line.  It is also very fast if apply-macro-to-region-lines
is used.

Is this a known performance bug, or should I open a bug report?

BR,
Robert Thorpe

* Re: Performance problem with keyboard macros and C-n
@ 2020-11-11 22:56 ` Daniel Martín
From: Daniel Martín @ 2020-11-11 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Thorpe; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

> On Reddit someone pointed to a performance problem with a keyboard
> macro. I investigated it a bit more and found that it was caused by an
> interaction between C-n and some programming modes.
>
> Basically, the macro is extremely slow if C-n is used to move between
> lines and the macro is run in python-mode or c-mode.  However, it is
> very fast if fundamental-mode is used or if forward-line is used to move
> to the next line.  It is also very fast if apply-macro-to-region-lines
> is used.
>
> Is this a known performance bug, or should I open a bug report?
>
> BR,
> Robert Thorpe

I think it's better to open a bug report with a detailed recipe to
reproduce the performance problem.  Thanks.