all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* some statistics
@ 2010-01-26 14:24 Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-01-26 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I was wondering if it would be possible to activate a voyeur mode in
emacs that analyzes what I do.
For example would be nice to know:
- what are the most visited buffers
- how long I work on them
- which are the keys I use most of the time
etc etc

Strange but I didn't find anything around and I don't see how I could do
it, is that possible with some hook-magic?

* Re: some statistics
       [not found] <mailman.224.1264515905.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-01-26 15:12 ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2010-01-26 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 26, 6:24 am, Andrea Crotti <andrea.crott...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if it would be possible to activate a voyeur mode in
> emacs that analyzes what I do.
> For example would be nice to know:
> - what are the most visited buffers
> - how long I work on them
> - which are the keys I use most of the time
> etc etc
>
> Strange but I didn't find anything around and I don't see how I could do
> it, is that possible with some hook-magic?

you can gather stat of your command calls, from the package command-
frequency.el.

you can get it here:

• Emacs's Command Frequency
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/command-frequency.html

if you have accumulated some stats, i'd appreciate it. I'll
incorporate it into my report.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: some statistics
@ 2010-01-27 10:32   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-01-27 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jan 26, 6:24 am, Andrea Crotti <andrea.crott...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> you can gather stat of your command calls, from the package command-
> frequency.el.
>
> you can get it here:
>
> • Emacs's Command Frequency
>   http://xahlee.org/emacs/command-frequency.html
>
> if you have accumulated some stats, i'd appreciate it. I'll
> incorporate it into my report.

Very nice thanks, I'm starting to collect some infos.
I see that the trick is using the "pre-command-hook" in short.
It would be also nice to know something of the time used in each buffer,
the number of total time spent typing and so on...

I see that the command-frequency.py is not very pythonic, if I write
something better I'll post it somewhere if you're interested..

* Re: some statistics
@ 2010-01-27 17:32   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-01-27 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Another really cool thing I'd like to have is a speed typing misurator.
I could see how fast I really am using different languages, using
or not using auto-completion and so on.

This works better with natural language of course, with programming
languages it make less sense, but it would still be interesting...