I have regenerated the patch against emacs-23 branch with a small tweak that is nick completion no longer inserts a space (same as in the original completion) if it is in the middle of an input. I wonder if it is possible to apply this patch first and then think about using the new completion-in-region-functions. I think this is a safer step. completion-in-region-functions can be problematic when more than one mode customise it though I haven't looked into this in full. But I currently have TeX and a minor mode uses completion-in-region-functions and I have been surprised a few times.