all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to incrementally build when checking out a nearby commit
@ 2023-11-25  6:01 Yuchen Pei
From: Yuchen Pei @ 2023-11-25  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

If I have built emacs, and now check out a commit that is not very
different from the current one, say a parent or child commit, how do I
rebuild in a way that takes as little time as possible?

Best,
Yuchen

--
Dr Yuchen Pei | https://ypei.org | Timezone: UTC+11
PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0

* Re: How to incrementally build when checking out a nearby commit
@ 2023-11-25 10:42 ` Daniel Martín
From: Daniel Martín @ 2023-11-25 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yuchen Pei <id@ypei.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> If I have built emacs, and now check out a commit that is not very
> different from the current one, say a parent or child commit, how do I
> rebuild in a way that takes as little time as possible?

That should happen if you just invoke make, as described in the INSTALL
file in the Emacs source directory.

* Re: How to incrementally build when checking out a nearby commit
@ 2023-11-25 13:02   ` Yuchen Pei
From: Yuchen Pei @ 2023-11-25 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat 2023-11-25 11:42:17 +0100, Daniel Martín wrote:

> Yuchen Pei <id@ypei.org> writes:

>> Hello,

>> If I have built emacs, and now check out a commit that is not very
>> different from the current one, say a parent or child commit, how do I
>> rebuild in a way that takes as little time as possible?
> That should happen if you just invoke make, as described in the INSTALL
> file in the Emacs source directory.

Strange that after your reply, I tested a couple commits and it did work
this way, but I clearly remember it took way longer when I did it last
time. I will keep receipts next time :)

Thanks.

Best,
Yuchen