all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Tramp interference
@ 2010-05-22 11:36 Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-05-22 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

First of all I use:
GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.3.0, NS apple-appkit-1038.29) of
2010-05-09 on linc

with tramp = 2.1.18-23.2
and this configuration
http://github.com/AndreaCrotti/Emacs-configuration

I would like to solve this problem because it's becoming quite annoying.
I used to connect to some servers via tramp, and it works nicely.

But I notice that when I restart emacs if I'm that server is not
reachable it hangs, I think just because ido-mode or something else will
look for it.

Same thing using magit on a REMOTE directory..
Now it did it even creating a new message on gnus:

Tramp: Waiting 60s for local shell to come up...
Tramp: Sending command `exec ssh arch   -q -e none'
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell

It must be related to some hook added by tramp or another thing, but I
don't find it anywhere, any idea??

And by the way I found that using SSHFS is much faster than tramp, and I
can also use git...
The only thing that doesn't work are of course shell commands, which
using tramp are sent automatically to the remote host.

Is there a way to make emacs understand that I'm still working on a
remote host even when the file is mounted locally via sshfs??

Thanks a lot,
Andrea

* Re: Tramp interference
@ 2010-05-22 21:45 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2010-05-22 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> It must be related to some hook added by tramp or another thing, but I
> don't find it anywhere, any idea??

Tramp does not add hooks on its own. It must be another package which
remembers visited files.

Search your home directory for such a history file. Something like

# find ~/ -type f | xargs grep -l ssh:

Ido might be a candidate, see ~/.ido.last

> Thanks a lot,
> Andrea

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Tramp interference
@ 2010-05-24  7:57   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-05-24  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Tramp does not add hooks on its own. It must be another package which
> remembers visited files.
>
> Search your home directory for such a history file. Something like
>
> # find ~/ -type f | xargs grep -l ssh:
>
> Ido might be a candidate, see ~/.ido.last

Yes thanks, I also guessed it was ido-mode to blame, but I for example
deleted all the instances of ssh: from .ido.last and same result.

It gets stuck until a connection to that server is actually availbale...
AI don't find much also on the net, strange because I think many people
use ido+tramp, right?

Thanks

* Re: Tramp interference
@ 2010-06-03  9:50     ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-06-03  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Yes thanks, I also guessed it was ido-mode to blame, but I for example
> deleted all the instances of ssh: from .ido.last and same result.
>
> It gets stuck until a connection to that server is actually availbale...
> AI don't find much also on the net, strange because I think many people
> use ido+tramp, right?
>
> Thanks

So noone else got the same problem?

I thought that changing this variable would have done
  (setq ido-enable-tramp-completion nil)

But still emacs at boot time tries to see if the server is reachable...
Why should it care at all I don't understand.
Definitely it's a problem from ido-mode but I don't see other things to
configure to stop it...