On 2012-05-08 11:37 +0800, Chong Yidong wrote: > I also am puzzled by where the display string "!" causing the problem > comes from. The only appearance of a "!" in Flymake is applied to the > mode-line, not as a display string within the buffer text. Neither > Flymake nor Python mode seem to use overlay display strings. > > Do you have any idea what "!" is used for in your buffer? Just realised this was triggered by me patching flymake to support fringe indicator. > Could you check the value of it->object, it->n_overlay_strings, and > it->overlay_strings[0]? On 2012-05-09 01:26 +0800, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > I think Leo's time and energy will be better spent looking for a > reproducible test case. Then debugging will be much more efficient. OK, I have prepared a test case. It requires python and the package pyflakes¹ which is used by flymake. Normally one can install pyflakes by using: pip install pyflakes OR easy_install pyflakes in a terminal. Decompress the attached tar ball and go into the directory 11417/ in a terminal and launch emacs like this: emacs -nw -q -L . -l bug.el setup.py You should see a buffer with contents partially displayed. Move around in that buffer by typing C-v, M-v, C-n or C-p until it freezes (it usually takes me no more than 3 key strokes). Footnotes: ¹ http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyflakes/0.5.0