all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* clear-string not defined
@ 2003-09-20 10:40 Robert Marshall
From: Robert Marshall @ 2003-09-20 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

this is emacs built from cvs, so maybe it ought to go as a bug report,
I just wanted to check that I wasn't doing something stupid!

I have comint-watch-for-password-prompt in my
comint-output-filter-functions, and I just tried it today and I get an
error with clear-string (function definition is void)

I can see clear-string in fns.c and it's there in the DOC file but it
fails in comint. More puzzlingly - to me anyway - read-passwd appears to
work ok which uses clear-string if C-u is typed

Puzzled....

Robert
--
La grenouille songe..dans son château d'eau

* Re: clear-string not defined
@ 2003-09-21 20:13 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-09-21 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> this is emacs built from cvs, so maybe it ought to go as a bug report,
> I just wanted to check that I wasn't doing something stupid!

The INSTALL-CVS file has useful info about where to send
such questions/bug-reports.

* Re: clear-string not defined
@ 2003-09-22 15:24   ` Robert Marshall
From: Robert Marshall @ 2003-09-22 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> this is emacs built from cvs, so maybe it ought to go as a bug
>> report, I just wanted to check that I wasn't doing something
>> stupid!
>
> The INSTALL-CVS file has useful info about where to send
> such questions/bug-reports.

Yes, I know, but the problem seemed so obvious, I was just trying to
guard against my own stupidity first (by making it publically obvious!!)

Robert
--
Poetry's not window cleaning.
It breaks the glass.

* Re: clear-string not defined
@ 2003-09-22 15:52     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-09-22 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> this is emacs built from cvs, so maybe it ought to go as a bug
>>> report, I just wanted to check that I wasn't doing something
>>> stupid!
>> The INSTALL-CVS file has useful info about where to send
>> such questions/bug-reports.
> Yes, I know, but the problem seemed so obvious, I was just trying to
> guard against my own stupidity first (by making it publically obvious!!)

If you only posted your message out of concern for your reputation, then
I can't help you.  But if you intended to get some help or info then it
makes more sense to send your message to a place where you have a higher
chance of reaching people who can answer you.

* Re: clear-string not defined
@ 2003-09-22 16:23       ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2003-09-22 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> If you only posted your message out of concern for your reputation, then
> I can't help you.  But if you intended to get some help or info then it
> makes more sense to send your message to a place where you have a higher
> chance of reaching people who can answer you.

Is that what the people working on emacs would prefer?
(Inquiring minds want to know.)
I would think they'd rather get bug reports that are known to be
bugs, rather than have to separate the wheat from the chaff
themselves.

Jay

* Re: clear-string not defined
@ 2003-09-22 17:42         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-09-22 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is that what the people working on Emacs would prefer?
> (Inquiring minds want to know.)

% tail -3 ~/work/emacs/INSTALL-CVS

Questions, requests, and bug reports about the CVS versions of Emacs
should be sent to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org ...
%

        Stefan

PS: The end is hidden because it's currently gramatically incorrect.

* Re: clear-string not defined
@ 2003-09-22 19:48       ` Robert Marshall
From: Robert Marshall @ 2003-09-22 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>> The INSTALL-CVS file has useful info about where to send
>>> such questions/bug-reports.
>> Yes, I know, but the problem seemed so obvious, I was just trying
>> to guard against my own stupidity first (by making it publically
>> obvious!!)
>
> If you only posted your message out of concern for your reputation,
> then I can't help you.  But if you intended to get some help or info
> then it makes more sense to send your message to a place where you
> have a higher chance of reaching people who can answer you.

Well this one looks to be a problem with my setup - or maybe in one of
the packages I've loaded, so I need to track it down a bit before I
can submit a sensible bug report

After a bit of investigation

emacs -q

(setq comint-output-filter-functions
'(comint-watch-for-password-prompt comint-truncate-buffer
  comint-postoutput-scroll-to-bottom)) ; my settings for this
      no problem

emacs
      with the same setq - no problem

But I'm seeing it in my current session(!)

tried loading vm and gnus - both of which I'm using, in a new session,
still no problem

Time for some serious digging and working though features I think!

Robert
--

@ 2003-09-28 19:31         ` Robert Marshall
From: Robert Marshall @ 2003-09-28 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Robert Marshall wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>

>> If you only posted your message out of concern for your reputation,
>> then I can't help you.  But if you intended to get some help or
>> info then it makes more sense to send your message to a place where
>> you have a higher chance of reaching people who can answer you.
>>

> Well this one looks to be a problem with my setup - or maybe in one
> of the packages I've loaded, so I need to track it down a bit before
> I can submit a sensible bug report
>
> After a bit of investigation
>
> emacs -q
>
> (setq comint-output-filter-functions
> '(comint-watch-for-password-prompt comint-truncate-buffer
>   comint-postoutput-scroll-to-bottom)) ; my settings for this
>       no problem

Well it was idiocy on my part - in case anyone cares - or a future googler

I had changed my menu which started emacs to run emacs-21.3.50.23 -
during some debugging of something else - which is no longer the
latest version, so that version didn't have clear-string as a built
in, but when I was testing with -q, I was - of course running the
up-to-date version

Robert
--
La grenouille songe..dans son château d'eau
Boycott the French - stop using ampères!