all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* eclim without jde?
@ 2010-08-14 21:56 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-08-14 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Has anyone decoupled emacs-eclim from JDE? I would like to use eclim
features but along with malabar-mode and auto-complete. Since I am using
emacs 24 I use the built in cedet which jde doesnt seem to be compatible
with anyway.

Failing that can I get semantic to parse the system import libraries in
order to complete using auto-complete?

* Re: eclim without jde?
@ 2010-08-15 14:36 ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-08-15 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> Has anyone decoupled emacs-eclim from JDE? I would like to use eclim
> features but along with malabar-mode and auto-complete. Since I am using
> emacs 24 I use the built in cedet which jde doesnt seem to be compatible
> with anyway.
>
> Failing that can I get semantic to parse the system import libraries in
> order to complete using auto-complete?

Thanks for pointing out eclim I didn't know it.
I don't see why you need JDE, it's not needed at all for eclim...
JDE unfortunately is quite dead, so maybe is not worth to try it
anymore.

But you can just use company-mode or auto-complete mode with eclim, it
should not be a big deal at all!

By the way on OSX 10.6 I'm still struggling to make it work, if you
could write (also in private) how you configured it would be really
nice..

* Re: eclim without jde?
@ 2010-08-15 15:06   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-08-15 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Has anyone decoupled emacs-eclim from JDE? I would like to use eclim
>> features but along with malabar-mode and auto-complete. Since I am using
>> emacs 24 I use the built in cedet which jde doesnt seem to be compatible
>> with anyway.
>>
>> Failing that can I get semantic to parse the system import libraries in
>> order to complete using auto-complete?
>
> Thanks for pointing out eclim I didn't know it.
> I don't see why you need JDE, it's not needed at all for eclim...
> JDE unfortunately is quite dead, so maybe is not worth to try it
> anymore.
>
> But you can just use company-mode or auto-complete mode with eclim, it
> should not be a big deal at all!

You have it working? I ask because eclim completion candidates are
generated in auto-complete-config which imports decompile/jde and as I
said jde is not compatible with emacs 23.2 onwards which ship with their
own cedet.

* Re: eclim without jde?
@ 2010-08-15 15:51     ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-08-15 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> You have it working? I ask because eclim completion candidates are
> generated in auto-complete-config which imports decompile/jde and as I
> said jde is not compatible with emacs 23.2 onwards which ship with their
> own cedet.

I can load eclim without problems, I added this to my conf

(add-to-list 'load-path (make-conf-path "emacs-eclim/"))
;; only add the vendor path when you want to use the libraries provided with emacs-eclim
(add-to-list 'load-path (make-conf-path "emacs-eclim/vendor"))
;; use it a hook instead with the java mode

;; TODO: maybe worth using on other modes also
(add-hook 'java-mode-hook
          '(lambda ()
             (require 'eclim)
             (setq eclim-auto-save t)
             (eclim-mode 1)))

but I'm not sure it really works since for some reasons the eclimd stops
automatically, I get this below
But probably is just a problem of eclipse/eclim configuration

mbpro:~ andrea$ .eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_1473617060/eclimd
"/Applications/eclipse/eclipse"
  -debug -nosplash -clean -refresh
  -application org.eclim.application_headless

Start VM: -Xms40m
-Xmx512m
-Xdock:icon=../Resources/Eclipse.icns
-XstartOnFirstThread
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.carbon.smallFonts
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-Djava.class.path=/Applications/eclipse/Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/../../../plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.0.v20100507.jar
-os macosx
-ws cocoa
-arch x86_64
-launcher /Applications/eclipse/Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/eclipse
-name Eclipse
--launcher.library /Applications/eclipse/Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS//../../../plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.cocoa.macosx.x86_64_1.1.0.v20100503/eclipse_1307.so
-startup /Applications/eclipse/Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/../../../plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.0.v20100507.jar
-debug
-clean
-refresh
-application org.eclim.application_headless
-vm /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework
-vmargs
-Xms40m
-Xmx512m
-Xdock:icon=../Resources/Eclipse.icns
-XstartOnFirstThread
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.carbon.smallFonts
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-Djava.class.path=/Applications/eclipse/Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/../../../plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.0.v20100507.jar
Install location:
    file:/Applications/eclipse/
Configuration file:
    file:/Applications/eclipse/configuration/config.ini loaded
Configuration location:
    file:/Applications/eclipse/configuration/
Framework located:
    file:/Applications/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.osgi_3.6.0.v20100517.jar
Framework classpath:
    file:/Applications/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.osgi_3.6.0.v20100517.jar
Debug options:
    file:/Applications/eclipse/Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/.options not found
Time to load bundles: 235
Starting application: 11586

* Re: eclim without jde?
@ 2010-08-15 16:30       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-08-15 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>

>> You have it working? I ask because eclim completion candidates are
>> generated in auto-complete-config which imports decompile/jde and as I
>> said jde is not compatible with emacs 23.2 onwards which ship with their
>> own cedet.
>
> I can load eclim without problems, I added this to my conf

> (add-to-list 'load-path (make-conf-path "emacs-eclim/"))
> ;; only add the vendor path when you want to use the libraries provided with emacs-eclim
> (add-to-list 'load-path (make-conf-path "emacs-eclim/vendor"))
> ;; use it a hook instead with the java mode
>
> ;; TODO: maybe worth using on other modes also
> (add-hook 'java-mode-hook
>           '(lambda ()
>              (require 'eclim)
>              (setq eclim-auto-save t)
>              (eclim-mode 1)))
>

> but I'm not sure it really works since for some reasons the eclimd stops
> automatically, I get this below
> But probably is just a problem of eclipse/eclim configuration

The issue is with auto-completion.

Just including eclim doesnt suddenly make auto completion work.

* Re: eclim without jde?
@ 2010-08-15 17:01         ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-08-15 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> The issue is with auto-completion.
>
> Just including eclim doesnt suddenly make auto completion work.

Sure it doesn't, you need to have something like this (not sure if it's
the correct function).

  (add-hook 'java-mode-hook
            '(lambda ()
               (add-to-list 'ac-sources 'eclim-complete)))

The ac-sources is a list of functions that auto-complet uses to check if
there is a possible completion.

* Re: eclim without jde?
@ 2010-08-15 17:11           ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-08-15 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>

>> The issue is with auto-completion.
>>
>> Just including eclim doesnt suddenly make auto completion work.
>

> Sure it doesn't, you need to have something like this (not sure if it's
> the correct function).

>   (add-hook 'java-mode-hook
>             '(lambda ()
>                (add-to-list 'ac-sources 'eclim-complete)))
>

> The ac-sources is a list of functions that auto-complet uses to check if
> there is a possible completion.

Yes. I know .. and ac-source-eclim uses ac-eclim-candidates which in
turn calls eclim/java-complete which resides in eclim-java which pulls
in jde which is incompatible with cedet in 23.2 onwards... Have you
tried it?

I am assuming you have this working as you seem quite adament it works
;) My own experiences here say not but I could have missed something
obvious here.

* Re: eclim without jde?
@ 2010-08-17 21:50             ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-08-17 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes. I know .. and ac-source-eclim uses ac-eclim-candidates which in
> turn calls eclim/java-complete which resides in eclim-java which pulls
> in jde which is incompatible with cedet in 23.2 onwards... Have you
> tried it?
>
> I am assuming you have this working as you seem quite adament it works
> ;) My own experiences here say not but I could have missed something
> obvious here.

Not yet, I stopped before, but is the eclimd process supposed to stop by
itself when I lauch it?