all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Is it possible to use tooltips only for some modes
@ 2005-08-05  9:57 Klaus Zeitler
From: Klaus Zeitler @ 2005-08-05  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

While I think tooltips are good for the toolbar icons and great for the
modeline, I find them sometimes annoying, especially in occur buffer.
e.g. when I move the cursor in the occur buffer emacs keeps hiding lines
behind the tooltip "mouse-2: go to this occurence".
Showing the tooltip once when one enters the buffer would be ok.

Maybe I missed something, but it seems that one can only globally
enable/disable tooltips. I think one should be able to make them buffer local
or, even better, be able to enable/disable tooltips for some features (like
modeline etc.).

I've toyed with this idea and tried
(add-hook 'occur-mode-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (make-variable-buffer-local 'show-help-function)
	    (setq show-help-function nil)))
This sort of works, but of course it also disables the tooltips for toolbar
and modeline of this buffer.

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             kzeitler@lucent.com  |
---
A fool with a tool is still a fool  -- Grady Booch

* Re: Is it possible to use tooltips only for some modes
@ 2005-08-05 20:38 ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-08-05 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Maybe I missed something, but it seems that one can only globally
    enable/disable tooltips. I think one should be able to make them buffer local
    or, even better, be able to enable/disable tooltips for some features (like
    modeline etc.).

That seems like a good idea.

Another idea: have a variable to specify the offset between
the mouse position and the tooltip.  Either always, or just when
it applies to the buffer contents.  That way, maybe it won't hide the text
you are looking at.

* Re: Is it possible to use tooltips only for some modes
@ 2005-08-09 10:10   ` Klaus Zeitler
From: Klaus Zeitler @ 2005-08-09 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Richard> Another idea: have a variable to specify the offset between the
    Richard> mouse position and the tooltip.  Either always, or just when it
    Richard> applies to the buffer contents.  That way, maybe it won't hide
    Richard> the text you are looking at.

Sounds interesting too, though I think that it might be too complicated
to use, cause the position will depend on the buffer contents.

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             kzeitler@lucent.com  |
---
What is worth doing is worth the trouble of asking somebody to do

* Re: Is it possible to use tooltips only for some modes
@ 2005-08-09 23:18 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-08-09 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> modeline, I find them sometimes annoying, especially in occur buffer.
> e.g. when I move the cursor in the occur buffer emacs keeps hiding lines
> behind the tooltip "mouse-2: go to this occurence".
> Showing the tooltip once when one enters the buffer would be ok.

I've changed my tooltips to appear in the echo area (by turning off
tooltip-mode) and have lived happily ever since.