all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Adding a symbol help mode
@ 2008-06-01 13:38 alexduller
From: alexduller @ 2008-06-01 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Regarding info files, how do I add a symbol help mode?

I have the Tcl manual formatted as info files and have added entries
to a dir file. When I use C-h S to lookup a symbol, it asks for a
symbol help mode. However, tcl-mode is not there.

I've scoured the emacs manual, the wiki and irc channel for an answer,
but to no avail.

* Re: Adding a symbol help mode
@ 2008-06-01 14:04 ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2008-06-01 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"alexduller@googlemail.com" <alexduller@googlemail.com> writes:

> Regarding info files, how do I add a symbol help mode?

Use the function `info-lookup-maybe-add-help' defined in the `info-look'
library.  It contains many stanzas initialising common modes that you
can use as examples.

* Re: Adding a symbol help mode
@ 2008-06-01 18:09 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-06-01 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "alexduller@googlemail.com" <alexduller@googlemail.com>
> Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 06:38:45 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Regarding info files, how do I add a symbol help mode?
>
> I have the Tcl manual formatted as info files and have added entries
> to a dir file. When I use C-h S to lookup a symbol, it asks for a
> symbol help mode. However, tcl-mode is not there.
>
> I've scoured the emacs manual, the wiki and irc channel for an answer,
> but to no avail.

See the documentation of the function info-lookup-add-help.

* Re: Adding a symbol help mode
@ 2008-06-02  7:14   ` alexduller
From: alexduller @ 2008-06-02  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 1, 3:04 pm, j...@pobox.com (John Paul Wallington) wrote:
> "alexdul...@googlemail.com" <alexdul...@googlemail.com> writes:
> > Regarding info files, how do I add a symbol help mode?
>
> Use the function `info-lookup-maybe-add-help' defined in the `info-look'
> library.  It contains many stanzas initialising common modes that you
> can use as examples.

Thanks. The problem was, that the function didn't come up with I used
info-lookup-<tab> to view the list of functions. hehe.

However, the problem now, is that each of the symbols in the info file
needs to be referenced with a colon on the end. For example, to view
the node for 'set', 'set:' must be given. I'm using the following to
add tcl-mode help in my .emacs file:

(eval-after-load "info-look"
  '(info-lookup-add-help
    :mode 'tcl-mode
    :ignore-case t
    :doc-spec '(("(TclCmd)Top" nil nil nil))))

Each menu item in the info file is as such:

* Menu Item::          description

Any ideas why the extra colon is needed when referencing a node using
'info-lookup-symbol'? I've tried editing the menu items to have just
one colon, but then info doesn't recognize them as items...

thanks.