all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to configure edebug not to print characters?
@ 2011-04-10  3:01 Leo
From: Leo @ 2011-04-10  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

`edebug' print numbers like this:

  Result: 24549 (#o57745, #x5fe5, ?忥)

The last thing in the () can slow things down significantly and since I
don't need it 99.9% of the time, I wonder if it is possible to make
edebug display:

  Result: 24549 (#o57745, #x5fe5)

instead.

Thanks.
Leo

* Re: How to configure edebug not to print characters?
@ 2011-04-10  5:39 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-04-10  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 11:01:47 +0800
>
> `edebug' print numbers like this:
>
>   Result: 24549 (#o57745, #x5fe5, ?忥)
>
> The last thing in the () can slow things down significantly

But only the first time, right?  That's what I see (because Emacs
needs to load the necessary font).

> since I don't need it 99.9% of the time, I wonder if it is possible
> to make edebug display:
>
>   Result: 24549 (#o57745, #x5fe5)
>
> instead.

The format of that display is a feature of
eval-expression-print-format, which see.  You can hack it if you want,
but I would suggest to add a customizable option to control that.

* Re: How to configure edebug not to print characters?
@ 2011-04-10  6:11   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-04-10  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 01:39:14 -0400
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> > since I don't need it 99.9% of the time, I wonder if it is possible
> > to make edebug display:
> >
> >   Result: 24549 (#o57745, #x5fe5)
> >
> > instead.
>
> The format of that display is a feature of
> eval-expression-print-format, which see.  You can hack it if you want,
> but I would suggest to add a customizable option to control that.

Alternatively, if you customize print-escape-multibyte to a non-nil
value, the character will be represented by an escape rather than
itself, which could speed things up for you.

* Re: How to configure edebug not to print characters?
@ 2011-04-10  8:53   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2011-04-10  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-04-10 13:39 +0800, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> But only the first time, right?  That's what I see (because Emacs
> needs to load the necessary font).

Yeah, I think so. But it could take more than 5 seconds so it annoys me
a bit.

[...]
> The format of that display is a feature of
> eval-expression-print-format, which see.  You can hack it if you want,
> but I would suggest to add a customizable option to control that.

Thanks for the pointer. I have advised it for now.

On 2011-04-10 14:11 +0800, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
[...]
>> The format of that display is a feature of
>> eval-expression-print-format, which see.  You can hack it if you want,
>> but I would suggest to add a customizable option to control that.
>
> Alternatively, if you customize print-escape-multibyte to a non-nil
> value, the character will be represented by an escape rather than
> itself, which could speed things up for you.

Hmm, setting print-escape-multibyte to t seems to make no difference in
edebug stepping.

@ 2011-04-10  9:51     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-04-10  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 16:53:26 +0800
>
> Hmm, setting print-escape-multibyte to t seems to make no difference in
> edebug stepping.

I didn't actually test it with Edebug.  I saw that
eval-expression-print-format invokes prin1-char and tested with that.
Perhaps I missed something.