all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* java develeopment
@ 2013-03-19 14:12 Rich Johns
From: Rich Johns @ 2013-03-19 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

It appears that the jdee (java development env) project has been abandoned
for the most part. I am currently  running  with emacs 22 and jdee under
ubuntu 10.04 LTS byt I need to move up to ubuntu 12.04 LTS and have
discovered that the jdee is not available.

I am still hopeful that the jdee package will make a come back, but if it
should not, I would very much like to hear how others are doing java
development in emacs  23 and greater.  Note I want to avoid use of Eclipse
or any other monolithic, heavy weight IDE. NO offense to those that love
them -- I recognize their power and value, but one of the things I love
about the jdee is that it is has a very light foot print. At any rate,
please weigh in on reasonable java development options in emacs under linux.

Thanks in advance for your time

* Re: java develeopment
@ 2013-03-19 19:27 ` Dmitry Gutov
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2013-03-19 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Johns; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Rich Johns <ridge.hons@gmail.com> writes:

> It appears that the jdee (java development env) project has been abandoned
> for the most part. I am currently  running  with emacs 22 and jdee under
> ubuntu 10.04 LTS byt I need to move up to ubuntu 12.04 LTS and have
> discovered that the jdee is not available.
>
> I am still hopeful that the jdee package will make a come back, but if it
> should not, I would very much like to hear how others are doing java
> development in emacs  23 and greater.  Note I want to avoid use of Eclipse
> or any other monolithic, heavy weight IDE. NO offense to those that love
> them -- I recognize their power and value, but one of the things I love
> about the jdee is that it is has a very light foot print. At any rate,
> please weigh in on reasonable java development options in emacs under linux.

I haven't been doing any Java for the last few years, so I'm not going
to help with setup and/or troubleshooting, but there are two main
options, AFAIK:

1. Work currently going on in the CEDET trunk. Not many IDE features,
mostly just code completion and jump to definition, both of them not
really perfect. See
http://alexott.blogspot.de/2012/10/new-version-of-article-about-emacscedet.html
and the linked article.

2. Use emacs-eclim. Yes, that means running Eclipse in the background
(with or without the GUI). See http://www.skybert.net/emacs/java/

* Re: java develeopment
@ 2013-03-19 19:38 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-03-19 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rich Johns <ridge.hons@gmail.com> writes:

> please weigh in on reasonable java development options in emacs under linux.

half kidding, I would say: switch to Scala and use ENSIME:

manual:
http://aemoncannon.github.com/ensime/index.html

video:
http://tinyurl.com/cgtnl4u

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: java develeopment
@ 2013-03-19 20:02   ` Rich Johns
From: Rich Johns @ 2013-03-19 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I'd have to change my job :)

--
rp johns

* Re: java develeopment
@ 2013-03-20 10:11 ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2013-03-20 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Johns; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Unfortunately JDEE development slowed down for a long time, and it has a
lot of dependencies. Combined with the Java backend which is painful to
build.

In the ideal world, I think, all the Java stuff would be dropped
(ironic!), and replaced with something like clojure (which integrates
nicely with Emacs and because of it's interop can provide the same data
that the Java interface uses.

But, there is no one doing this sort of work at the moment; I used to
develop for JDEE, but rarely use Java anymore. I really miss JDEE when I
do, so I feel your pain.

Phil

Rich Johns <ridge.hons@gmail.com> writes:

> It appears that the jdee (java development env) project has been abandoned
> for the most part. I am currently  running  with emacs 22 and jdee under
> ubuntu 10.04 LTS byt I need to move up to ubuntu 12.04 LTS and have
> discovered that the jdee is not available.
>
> I am still hopeful that the jdee package will make a come back, but if it
> should not, I would very much like to hear how others are doing java
> development in emacs  23 and greater.  Note I want to avoid use of Eclipse
> or any other monolithic, heavy weight IDE. NO offense to those that love
> them -- I recognize their power and value, but one of the things I love
> about the jdee is that it is has a very light foot print. At any rate,
> please weigh in on reasonable java development options in emacs under linux.
>
> Thanks in advance for your time
>

> --

Phillip Lord,                           Phone: +44 (0) 191 222 7827
Lecturer in Bioinformatics,             Email: phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk
School of Computing Science,            http://homepages.cs.ncl.ac.uk/phillip.lord
Room 914 Claremont Tower,               skype: russet_apples
Newcastle University,                   twitter: phillord
NE1 7RU

* Re: java develeopment
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-03-20 10:52 ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2013-03-20 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Johns; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

On 19/03/2013 18:12 +0400, Rich Johns wrote:

> It appears that the jdee (java development env) project has been abandoned
> for the most part. I am currently  running  with emacs 22 and jdee under
> ubuntu 10.04 LTS byt I need to move up to ubuntu 12.04 LTS and have
> discovered that the jdee is not available.
>
> I am still hopeful that the jdee package will make a come back, but if it
> should not, I would very much like to hear how others are doing java
> development in emacs  23 and greater.  Note I want to avoid use of Eclipse
> or any other monolithic, heavy weight IDE. NO offense to those that love
> them -- I recognize their power and value, but one of the things I love
> about the jdee is that it is has a very light foot print. At any rate,
> please weigh in on reasonable java development options in emacs under linux.

I use the following (very minimal) tools:

1. Etags for navigation. While it's not convenient to update tag tables
frequently, it's rarely needed for me. I usually generate a single tag
table for a whole project instead of a separate one for each module. It
allows to quickly find a class/method and I'm fine with it.

2. Dired with "-R" for each sub-module. That allows to manage files and
quickly find files within one module.

3. Little self-written module which allows to add and reorder imports
with completion based on current module's Maven dependencies and current
module's classes. For the module's own classes, it just finds *.java
files, so no inner class support.

4. Emacs-w3m for javadoc viewing.

5. jdb (via GUD) for debugging (very rarely).

I also read that malabar-mode is good, but it didn't work on Cygwin when
I tried it.

Filipp

* Re: java develeopment
@ 2013-03-20 11:31   ` Leo Liu
From: Leo Liu @ 2013-03-20 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2013-03-20 18:52 +0800, Filipp Gunbin wrote:
> I use the following (very minimal) tools:
>
> 1. Etags for navigation. While it's not convenient to update tag tables
> frequently, it's rarely needed for me. I usually generate a single tag
> table for a whole project instead of a separate one for each module. It
> allows to quickly find a class/method and I'm fine with it.

I am a casual java user. I use GNU Global + ggtags¹ for java.

I have

  export GTAGSLIBPATH=/usr/local/unix/java/1.6/classes

to point to the java sdk's classes source and from then on can jump to
any class/method in my project including those in SDK. This solves the
jump-to-definition (source code navigation) problem for me. See this
screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/d430rmm.png

You can get some completion (see ggtags-tag-names) from the database
built by GNU Global but it won't be as good as precise code completion.

HTH,
Leo

Footnotes:
¹  http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/ggtags.html

* Re: java develeopment
@ 2013-03-20 13:15     ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-03-20 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rich Johns <ridge.hons@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd have to change my job :)
>
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Thorsten Jolitz-2 [via Emacs] <[hidden
> email]> wrote:

>     half kidding, I would say: switch to Scala and use ENSIME:

>     video:
>     http://tinyurl.com/cgtnl4u

I can give no authorative info here, but I seem to remember that in this
video it is said that the actively developed ENSIME recently learnt how
to deal with Java buffers (Scala -> Java interop).

So maybe ENSIME could be (ab)used as a SLIME like Java dev-tool, which
would be kind of cool.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: java develeopment
       [not found] <mailman.22486.1363717911.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-03-21  7:01 ` Pascal Quesseveur
From: Pascal Quesseveur @ 2013-03-21  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

  I work with emac 24.2 and jdee on Windows. I installed the jdee
tarball and cedet 1.1 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/jdee/files

  I have build CEDET as it is decribed in the INSTALL file from
the CEDET distrib. I have used cedet-build:

  emacs -Q -l cedet-build.el -f cedet-build

  Then I have build the jdee following
http://jdee.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/jdee/trunk/jdee/doc/flat/install.html?revision=255

  I have modified my config to load CEDET:

(load-file "/path-to-cedet-1.1/common/cedet.el")

  HTH.

--
Pascal Quesseveur
pascal.quesseveur@free.fr

* Re: java develeopment
@ 2013-03-21 13:33   ` Rich Johns
From: Rich Johns @ 2013-03-21 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

It looks like if one had to live without JDEE, there are ways to patch
together enough functionality to approximate a java dev env. Another option
too is to stick with 10.04 LTS on the new box. At the risk of appearing too
lazy to learn new tricks, I am leaning this way. There's a certain level of
fluency with JDEE that is really hard to give up, especially in a work place
heavily into java.  I continue to ponder though,

Much obliged for the feedback everyone. I get the impression that somewhere
down the road someone will put together something for java on top of CEDET.
This situation really brings home how much I appreciate those developers
that find/make  time to build tools for the rest of us.

* Re: java develeopment
@ 2013-03-22  8:42   ` David Banks
From: David Banks @ 2013-03-22  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Filipp,

On 20/03/13 10:52, Filipp Gunbin wrote:
> 3. Little self-written module which allows to add and reorder imports
> with completion based on current module's Maven dependencies and current
> module's classes. For the module's own classes, it just finds *.java
> files, so no inner class support.

Would you be able to share this module?  I would find it very useful.

Cheers,
Dave

* Re: java develeopment
@ 2013-03-23  7:55     ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2013-03-23  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Banks; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 22/03/2013 12:42 +0400, David Banks wrote:

> Hi Filipp,
>
> On 20/03/13 10:52, Filipp Gunbin wrote:
>> 3. Little self-written module which allows to add and reorder imports
>> with completion based on current module's Maven dependencies and current
>> module's classes. For the module's own classes, it just finds *.java
>> files, so no inner class support.
>
> Would you be able to share this module?  I would find it very useful.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Hi David,

Of course, but I'm now rewriting it and will share when finish.

Filipp

* Re: java develeopment
@ 2013-03-31 19:09 Barry OReilly
From: Barry OReilly @ 2013-03-31 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)