all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* VC-CVS commit with standard comment
@ 2010-02-16  9:31 Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2010-02-16  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all

Is it possible to set an automatic standard comment when checking in a
version controlled file?

I'm the only client of my repository and I always give the same comment
"new" when I check in files. This can surely be automated to save time
(or to entrust checkins to the "midnight" function). But how?

--
Greetings

Sven

* Re: VC-CVS commit with standard comment
@ 2010-02-16 10:01 ` Andrea Crotti
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1350.1266346590.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-02-16 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Sven Bretfeld" <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> Hi all
>
> Is it possible to set an automatic standard comment when checking in a
> version controlled file?
>
> I'm the only client of my repository and I always give the same comment
> "new" when I check in files. This can surely be automated to save time
> (or to entrust checkins to the "midnight" function). But how?

Good idea I also wanted something like that.
I have under git also many org-mode files, sometimes I can't really give
a commit message that makes sense, maybe something auto-generated from
the diff also would be nice (like the first n-chars of every diff line).

* Re: VC-CVS commit with standard comment
@ 2010-02-16 18:56   ` Sven Bretfeld
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1350.1266346590.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2010-02-16 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> "Sven Bretfeld" <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

>> Is it possible to set an automatic standard comment when checking in a
>> version controlled file?
>>
>> I'm the only client of my repository and I always give the same comment
>> "new" when I check in files. This can surely be automated to save time
>> (or to entrust checkins to the "midnight" function). But how?
>
> Good idea I also wanted something like that.
> I have under git also many org-mode files, sometimes I can't really give
> a commit message that makes sense, maybe something auto-generated from
> the diff also would be nice (like the first n-chars of every diff line).

Same issue for me.

--

@ 2010-02-20 17:57     ` Vagn Johansen
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1639.1266840365.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Vagn Johansen @ 2010-02-20 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Sven Bretfeld" <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

F> Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> "Sven Bretfeld" <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:
>
>>> Is it possible to set an automatic standard comment when checking in a
>>> version controlled file?

(add-hook 'log-edit-mode-hook '(lambda () (interactive) (insert "new")))

>>> I'm the only client of my repository and I always give the same comment
>>> "new" when I check in files. This can surely be automated to save time
>>> (or to entrust checkins to the "midnight" function). But how?
>>
>> Good idea I also wanted something like that.
>> I have under git also many org-mode files, sometimes I can't really give
>> a commit message that makes sense, maybe something auto-generated from
>> the diff also would be nice (like the first n-chars of every diff line).
>
> Same issue for me.

Maybe do something clever via log-edit-mode-hook

--
Vagn Johansen

* Re: VC-CVS commit with standard comment
@ 2010-02-22 12:05       ` Sven Bretfeld
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1639.1266840365.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2010-02-22 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Vagn Johansen <gonz808@hotmail.com> writes:

> (add-hook 'log-edit-mode-hook '(lambda () (interactive) (insert "new")))

That's almost working. Thanks. The problem is that the second checkin
wants to add the comment "newnew", the third "newnewnew".

@ 2010-02-23  4:32         ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2010-02-23  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sven Bretfeld wrote:

>> (add-hook 'log-edit-mode-hook '(lambda () (interactive) (insert "new")))
>
> That's almost working. Thanks. The problem is that the second checkin
> wants to add the comment "newnew", the third "newnewnew".

(lambda () (erase-buffer) (insert "new"))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: VC-CVS commit with standard comment
       [not found]         ` <m21vgdjenl.fsf@hotmail.com>
@ 2010-02-23  9:46           ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2010-02-23  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagn Johansen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

Vagn Johansen <gonz808@hotmail.com> writes:

> "Sven Bretfeld" <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

>>> (add-hook 'log-edit-mode-hook '(lambda () (interactive) (insert "new")))
>>
>> That's almost working. Thanks. The problem is that the second checkin
>> wants to add the comment "newnew", the third "newnewnew".
>
> Maybe this will work (untested)
>
> (add-hook 'log-edit-mode-hook '(lambda () (interactive)
>                   (delete-region (point-min) (point-max))
>                   (insert "new")))

That's working perfectly. Thank you very much.

Greetings,

Sven