all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Sick question of the week
@ 2010-08-04 13:19 Gary
From: Gary @ 2010-08-04 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Does anyone know if it is possible to usefully get the EmacsW32
emacsclient to work happily with, say, a cygwin emacs-server instance?

Apart from being curious, and just enjoying making things do stuff they
might never have been intended to do, I would like to avoid running more
than one emacs instance and sometimes just want to quickly double click
a file in explorer and have emacs(W32) open it.

--
Gary
GNU Emacs 23.2.1

* Re: Sick question of the week
@ 2010-08-04 13:44 ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-08-04 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Gary <help-gnu-emacs@garydjones.name> writes:

> Does anyone know if it is possible to usefully get the EmacsW32
> emacsclient to work happily with, say, a cygwin emacs-server instance?
>
> Apart from being curious, and just enjoying making things do stuff they
> might never have been intended to do, I would like to avoid running more
> than one emacs instance and sometimes just want to quickly double click
> a file in explorer and have emacs(W32) open it.

Are there reasons to use emacs-server in cygwin and not the
emacs(W32)-server (if there is?)?

Don't know if it works but normally they don't find each other, maybe
setting the protocol to TCP might make it work...

* Re: Sick question of the week
@ 2010-08-04 14:07   ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2010-08-04 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrea Crotti wrote:
> Gary writes:
>
>> Does anyone know if it is possible to usefully get the EmacsW32
>> emacsclient to work happily with, say, a cygwin emacs-server instance?

> Are there reasons to use emacs-server in cygwin and not the
> emacs(W32)-server (if there is?)?

I do most of my work in a cygwin console environment (the tools are
better, the environment is closer to the ultimate target environment,
and so on), so yeah, I have my reasons :)

> Don't know if it works but normally they don't find each other, maybe
> setting the protocol to TCP might make it work...

I tried it out at one point, and I think it's just a matter of pointing
them both to the same 'server' file. I didn't get time to follow it up
any further, due to deadline piling into deadline, piling into deadline.

--

@ 2010-08-04 14:13     ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-08-04 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Gary <help-gnu-emacs@garydjones.name> writes:

>> Are there reasons to use emacs-server in cygwin and not the
>> emacs(W32)-server (if there is?)?
>
> I do most of my work in a cygwin console environment (the tools are
> better, the environment is closer to the ultimate target environment,
> and so on), so yeah, I have my reasons :)

I see, then maybe why not using a virtual machine with a real operating
system and tramp?
With the controlmaster option is quite fast and you would avoid using
the crappy cygwin..

* Re: Sick question of the week
@ 2010-08-04 14:47       ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2010-08-04 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrea Crotti wrote:
> Gary writes:
>>
>>> Are there reasons to use emacs-server in cygwin and not the
>>> emacs(W32)-server (if there is?)?
>>
>> I do most of my work in a cygwin console environment (the tools are
>> better, the environment is closer to the ultimate target environment,
>> and so on), so yeah, I have my reasons :)
>
> I see, then maybe why not using a virtual machine with a real operating
> system

Not my choice. I suppose I could install a VM into Windows, but it
doesn't appeal.

> With the controlmaster option is quite fast and you would avoid using
> the crappy cygwin..

But.. I like cygwin.

--

@ 2010-08-05 15:56         ` filebat Mark
From: filebat Mark @ 2010-08-05 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I agree with you, Gary. It does make sense to use ntemacs + cygwin. Not all
of us can kick off windows, say me :(.

Gary, I am not sure whether I have caught your point in your original
question.
Here is what I do.
# step1: add below line in my emacs configuration file.
(server-start) ;; emacs-client
# step2: Change the preference programs of plain text files in Windows, and
point them to ~/bin/emacsclientw.exe.

Regards,
Denny

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 10:47 PM, Gary <help-gnu-emacs@garydjones.name>wrote:

> Andrea Crotti wrote:

> >> I do most of my work in a cygwin console environment (the tools are
> >> better, the environment is closer to the ultimate target environment,
> >> and so on), so yeah, I have my reasons :)
> >
> > I see, then maybe why not using a virtual machine with a real operating
> > system
>
> Not my choice. I suppose I could install a VM into Windows, but it
> doesn't appeal.
>
> > With the controlmaster option is quite fast and you would avoid using
> > the crappy cygwin..
>
> But.. I like cygwin.
>
> --
> Gary
> GNU Emacs 23.2.1
> emacsclient 23.2
> 1.7.4(0.225/5/3) 2010-04-07 11:02 Cygwin

--
Thanks & Regards

Denny Zhang

* Re: Sick question of the week
@ 2010-08-06  7:21           ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2010-08-06  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

filebat Mark wrote:

> Here is what I do.
> # step1: add below line in my emacs configuration file.
> (server-start) ;; emacs-client

Okay. You mean the cygwin version of emacs?

> # step2: Change the preference programs of plain text files in Windows, and
> point them to ~/bin/emacsclientw.exe.

Thanks. I will give it a go. I just wasn't sure if I would see any odd
behaviour due to incompatibilities between the cygwin and windows emacs
versions.