all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* indenting with spaces
@ 2010-01-19 16:34 andrea
From: andrea @ 2010-01-19 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I use to indent everything with spaces because I prefer and I never had
problems, with this line

(setq indent-tabs-mode nil)

Everything works fine, but NOT with JDE.
For some reasons it wants to use tabs, I also did this

(add-hook 'jde-mode-hook
	  '(lambda () (require 'ecb))
	  '(lambda () (setq indent-tabs-mode nil)))

But no way, it still set indent-tabs-mode to t, any idea of why it
should do that?

* Re: indenting with spaces
@ 2010-01-19 16:44 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-01-19 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

andrea <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Andrea,

> Everything works fine, but NOT with JDE.
> For some reasons it wants to use tabs, I also did this
>
> (add-hook 'jde-mode-hook
> 	  '(lambda () (require 'ecb))
> 	  '(lambda () (setq indent-tabs-mode nil)))

This won't work.  `add-hook' only accepts one function, so try that:

(add-hook 'jde-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (require 'ecb)
            (setq indent-tabs-mode nil)))

> But no way, it still set indent-tabs-mode to t, any idea of why it
> should do that?

No, it shouldn't do that.  Does it set it buffer-locally, or globally?
That would be even more impolite.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: indenting with spaces
@ 2010-01-19 17:06   ` andrea
From: andrea @ 2010-01-19 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> andrea <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:
>
> No, it shouldn't do that.  Does it set it buffer-locally, or globally?
> That would be even more impolite.
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

Ok thanks now it works, but still I don't understand why
Local in buffer init.el; global value is t
That's even if I set up and evaluate the "setq" in init.el.
Where does this global stupid value come from then?

* Re: indenting with spaces
@ 2010-01-19 17:54     ` Tom Rauchenwald
From: Tom Rauchenwald @ 2010-01-19 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

andrea <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>
>> andrea <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> No, it shouldn't do that.  Does it set it buffer-locally, or globally?
>> That would be even more impolite.
>>
>> Bye,
>> Tassilo
>
> Ok thanks now it works, but still I don't understand why
> Local in buffer init.el; global value is t
> That's even if I set up and evaluate the "setq" in init.el.
> Where does this global stupid value come from then?

You should use setq-default. With setq you set it buffer-locally, so it
is only set in the buffer the setq is evaluated.

To change the default use
#v+
(setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil)
#v-