On 2010-12-02 10:01 +0000, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote: >> BTW, `mac-mouse-wheel-smooth-scroll' does not work reliably. It can >> freeze emacs (Can't be interrupted by C-g). So I am not using it for >> now. > > I've never experienced this. If it does not happen with -Q, then your > configuration has something to do with this problem. > > Also, because the actual scrolling code is mostly implemented at the > Lisp level (without touching inhibit-quit), your problem may indicate > that there is some infinite loop or hang possibly in the > platform-independent part such as redisplay. Identifying the place of > infinite loop or hang using a debugger may help (see the "If the > symptom of the bug is that Emacs fails to respond" section in > etc/DEBUG). Indeed there is an infinite loop. But I wasn't able to reproduce the problem with a vanilla Emacs. The problem happens when I am scrolling up (my hand move from bottom to top on the trackpad) and the infinite loop happens in xdisp.c between line 12630 and 12789 (the gdb log is attached). I also find a way to reproduce this problem easily with Emacs -q: 1. eval (setq scroll-conservatively 100) (setq scroll-preserve-screen-position 'always) 2. try scrolling in a buffer