Understanding complex regular expressions in Emacs Lisp code (for example, the ones in compile.el) is sometimes difficult with all the backslashes, so I've written a program that, using the ELPA package xr[1], enters a minor mode that overlays the rx form of any regular expression string. This idea came from macroexpand and how it helps with understanding Lisp macros. This program autoloads a new function: regexp-expand. When the point is in a program string and regexp-expand is invoked, Emacs enters a minor mode that puts the buffer temporarily in read-only mode and shows the regular expression in rx form as an overlay. You can ask for help about the rx notation by pressing e. You can exit the minor mode and return to the original text by pressing q. Is there general interest in this kind of functionality as a free program? I don't know if this could be a new feature of the xr package (most probably), or if it could be its own separate package. A first version of this program is attached to this email, along with some tests that demonstrate how it works. Thanks. [1] https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/xr.html