all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* vc-next-action problem
@ 2008-02-25 16:56 Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2008-02-25 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

With filesets, how do I do the right next action when I made an
accident?

This is the result of C-x v l (vc-print-log) in
... emacs/lisp/help-mode.el but should be ... emacs/lisp/help-fns.el

    revision 1.62
    date: 2008-02-25 16:30:31 +0000;  author: bob;  state: Exp;  lines: +6 -0;  commitid: hIPHofGFoVdKANSs;
    (describe-variable):  Add phrases about initialization file with and
    without customization; use new button type help-info-variable.

C-x v v (vc-next-action), which is in ... emacs/lisp/vc.el, says

    Fileset is up-to-date

(As far as I can determine, I did right for the big Changelog invoked
with C-x 4 a (add-change-log-entry-other-window) but not for
vc-print-log.)

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    bob@rattlesnake.com                         bob@gnu.org

* Re: vc-next-action problem
@ 2008-02-25 17:56 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-02-25 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bob; +Cc: emacs-devel

"Robert J. Chassell" <bob@rattlesnake.com> writes:

  > With filesets, how do I do the right next action when I made an
  > accident?
  >
  > This is the result of C-x v l (vc-print-log) in
  > ... emacs/lisp/help-mode.el but should be ... emacs/lisp/help-fns.el
  >
  >     revision 1.62
  >     date: 2008-02-25 16:30:31 +0000;  author: bob;  state: Exp;  lines: +6 -0;  commitid: hIPHofGFoVdKANSs;
  >     (describe-variable):  Add phrases about initialization file with and
  >     without customization; use new button type help-info-variable.
  >
  > C-x v v (vc-next-action), which is in ... emacs/lisp/vc.el, says
  >
  >     Fileset is up-to-date
  >
  > (As far as I can determine, I did right for the big Changelog invoked
  > with C-x 4 a (add-change-log-entry-other-window) but not for
  > vc-print-log.)

Can you please explain step by step what you did and what you expect,
it's hard to understand from he above description...

* Re: vc-next-action problem
@ 2008-02-25 20:06   ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2008-02-25 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

    Can you please explain step by step what you did ...

First, I updated CVS and bootstrapped.

I visited two modified files, ... emacs/lisp/help-mode.el and
... emacs/lisp/help-fns.el

Then I wrote what I did in the big Changelog invoked with C-x 4 a
(add-change-log-entry-other-window) for the two files.  All the
previous worked fine.

Then I invoked the small changelog with C-x v v (vc-next-action) for
one of the files and put material for that file in it.  I did not
realize the two files were a fileset; I expected the next action would
be for just that one file.

I switched buffer to the other file, then switched back to the small
changelog and typed C-c C-c to commit the first file.  That committed
the second file, not the first, with the documentation for the first,
the wrong documentation for it.

(Then I tried to find out what to do with an error, visited vc.el,
etc. without success.  I spend quite a bit of time doing this both
before and after committing the second file.)

I switched to the second file, invoked the small changelog with C-x v
v (vc-next-action), put in the documentation for it, typed C-c C-c to
commit both the second file and the small change log.  As far as I can
determine with C-x v l (vc-print-log) that went correctly.

Then I switched to the big ChangeLog, invoked a small changelog for it
with C-x v v (vc-next-action) with no contents, as recommended to me
(and I think to the rest on this list) on 4 Nov 2006, typed C-c C-c to
commit the big ChangeLog and the empty small changelog.
That seems to have worked fine.

Lastly, I checked by updating CVS again.  (Nothing appeared.)

The commitments for the files and for the big ChangeLog went fine.  So
did the commitment for the small change log for ... emacs/lisp/help-fns.el.

The problem is with the commitment for the small change log for
... emacs/lisp/help-mode.el.

My question is what do I do when I make a mistake?

--

@ 2008-02-25 21:54     ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-02-25 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bob; +Cc: emacs-devel

"Robert J. Chassell" <bob@rattlesnake.com> writes:

  >     Can you please explain step by step what you did ...
  >
  > First, I updated CVS and bootstrapped.
  >
  > I visited two modified files, ... emacs/lisp/help-mode.el and
  > ... emacs/lisp/help-fns.el
  >
  > Then I wrote what I did in the big Changelog invoked with C-x 4 a
  > (add-change-log-entry-other-window) for the two files.  All the
  > previous worked fine.
  >
  > Then I invoked the small changelog with C-x v v (vc-next-action) for
  > one of the files and put material for that file in it.  I did not
  > realize the two files were a fileset; I expected the next action would
  > be for just that one file.

That's strange, right now you can't create a fileset with more that one
file other than using vc-dired or vc-status...

  > My question is what do I do when I make a mistake?

cvs admin  can be used to fix such things.

* Re: vc-next-action problem
@ 2008-02-26  2:10       ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2008-02-26  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

    That's strange, right now you can't create a fileset with more that one
    file other than using vc-dired or vc-status...

Well, I did not do either of those ... that is part of my confusion.

    cvs admin  can be used to fix such things.

I did that before, and in a shell ran:

    pushd /usr/local/src/emacs/lisp
    cvs admin \
    -m1.62:"New button able to read Info files for help-fns.el." help-mode.el

but this time I got the error:

    cvs [admin aborted]: usage is restricted to members of the group cvsadmin