all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dired with dot files early
@ 2007-09-17 19:34 Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2007-09-17 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Currently, my dired displays dot files among all the rest.

I have looked in lisp/dired.el and at the man page for ls;
unfortunately, I could not find a way to put the dot files in ASCII
order as they were several years ago.

Thus, in dired, my home directory shows `calc-language-modes' before
`.calcrc'.  Perhaps an appropriate variable does not exist; or ...

What variable can I set in my initialization file so dot files in
dired come early in the listing, all together?

--
    Robert J. Chassell                          GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8
    bob@rattlesnake.com                         bob@gnu.org

* Re: dired with dot files early
@ 2007-09-17 19:56 ` Sven Joachim
From: Sven Joachim @ 2007-09-17 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bob; +Cc: emacs-devel

"Robert J. Chassell" <bob@rattlesnake.com> writes:

> Currently, my dired displays dot files among all the rest.
>
> I have looked in lisp/dired.el and at the man page for ls;
> unfortunately, I could not find a way to put the dot files in ASCII
> order as they were several years ago.

You might be using a UTF-8 locale now.  What does `locale' print?

> Thus, in dired, my home directory shows `calc-language-modes' before
> `.calcrc'.  Perhaps an appropriate variable does not exist; or ...
>
> What variable can I set in my initialization file so dot files in
> dired come early in the listing, all together?

It's the LC_COLLATE variable, assuming that LC_ALL is not set.  I have
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 and LC_COLLATE=C exported in my .bash_profile, which
achieves the sort order you want.

* Re: dired with dot files early
@ 2007-09-17 20:11 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2007-09-17 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bob; +Cc: emacs-devel

"Robert J. Chassell" <bob@rattlesnake.com> writes:

> What variable can I set in my initialization file so dot files in
> dired come early in the listing, all together?

LC_COLLATE=C

See <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/faq/coreutils-faq.html#The-ls-command-is-not-listing-files-in-a-normal-order_0021>.

Andreas.

* Re: dired with dot files early
@ 2007-09-17 22:01   ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2007-09-17 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I had
    LANG=en_US
but nothing for
    LC_COLLATE

My problem must have come from the missing LC_COLLATE variable.

I put both
    export LANG=en_US
    export LC_COLLATE=C
in my ~/.bash_profile.  `dired' in Emacs and `ls -al' in an xterm both
now succeed!

Thank you, Sven Joachim and Andreas Schwab.