all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Printing from modern Emacsen
       [not found] ` <E1Epoh6-0004iI-Jq@fencepost.gnu.org>
@ 2006-03-01  2:53   ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2006-03-01  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: akochoi, Peter_Dyballa, zenitani, arobert, hniksic,
	lennart.borgman.073, miles

I'm very sorry for not reponding on this subject.

In article <E1Epoh6-0004iI-Jq@fencepost.gnu.org>, "Richard M. Stallman" <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> In principle, I think it would be good to move towards a Unicode-based
> printing system for Emacs.  Especially in the Unicode-2 branch.  I am
> not sure how far away we are from that goal.  Handa, can you tell us?

I've been working (but slowly) on using TTF font directly
from ps-print, and just finished the first version of such a
tool (ps-ttf.el; yet another external library for ps-print).
It basically generates a Type42 PostScript font from TTF
(defining only glyphs necessary for printing the current
text) and embed it in the output.

But, it requires a PostScript printer to support TrueType
rasterizer (i.e. version 2013 or the later), and also
requires several backward compatibility issues for version
yanger than 3011.

I tried to address those backward compatibility issues, but
as I don't have an old PostScript printer, I'm not sure how
well it works.

So, I'd like to ask you to print the attached PostScript
file on PostScript printers around you.  As recent
ghostscript has no problem on handling it, if your printer
is drived by ghostscript, you should be able to get the
correct result.

The file is created on emacs-unicode-2 by (ps-print-buffer
"~/temp.ps") on *Character List* buffer for
cyrillic-iso8859-5 using FreeMono.ttf
(http://www.nongnu.org/freefont/).

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

[-- Attachment #2: temp.ps --]
[-- Type: application/postscript, Size: 79539 bytes --]

* Re: Printing from modern Emacsen
@ 2006-03-01  6:29     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-03-01  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: akochoi, Peter_Dyballa, zenitani, emacs-devel, arobert, hniksic,
	lennart.borgman.073

On 3/1/06, Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> wrote:
> As recent
> ghostscript has no problem on handling it, if your printer
> is drived by ghostscript, you should be able to get the
> correct result.

My default printer here at work print this page fine.

However gs version 8.15.1 dies in some gruesome way:

   Unexpected interpreter error -8.
   Error object: (f80)op(0)0x80d9350

[Followed by hex stack dump!]

If I use "gv" (which itself uses gs), it gives a slightly more useful
error message; it says "Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset" on
stderr, and then shows some kind of error page, which says:

  # ERROR: configurationerror
  # OFFENDING COMMAND: setpagedevice

-miles

[i dunno if 8.15.1 is recent, but not too old i think...]

--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

* Re: Printing from modern Emacsen
@ 2006-03-01  7:13       ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2006-03-01  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: akochoi, Peter_Dyballa, zenitani, emacs-devel, arobert, hniksic,
	lennart.borgman.073

In article <fc339e4a0602282229p1327422cqae5375fff3564131@mail.gmail.com>, "Miles Bader" <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> However gs version 8.15.1 dies in some gruesome way:

>    Unexpected interpreter error -8.
>    Error object: (f80)op(0)0x80d9350

> [Followed by hex stack dump!]

> If I use "gv" (which itself uses gs), it gives a slightly more useful
> error message; it says "Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset" on
> stderr, and then shows some kind of error page, which says:

>   # ERROR: configurationerror
>   # OFFENDING COMMAND: setpagedevice

My gs was much older: GNU Ghostscript 7.05 (2002-04-22).

So, I've just installed the latest version (GPL Ghostscript
8.50 (2005-12-31)), and it prints temp.ps correctly.

Anyway, error on setpagedevice is very strange.  Can you
print some other PS file genenrated by ps-print-buffer with
that ghostscript?

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: Printing from modern Emacsen
@ 2006-03-01 19:19     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-03-01 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org>
> Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 11:53:42 +0900
> Cc: akochoi@shaw.ca, Peter_Dyballa@web.de, zenitani@tkg.att.ne.jp,
> 	arobert@cogsci.ucsd.edu, hniksic@xemacs.org,
> 	lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se, miles@gnu.org
>
> But, it requires a PostScript printer to support TrueType
> rasterizer (i.e. version 2013 or the later), and also
> requires several backward compatibility issues for version
> yanger than 3011.
>
> I tried to address those backward compatibility issues, but
> as I don't have an old PostScript printer, I'm not sure how
> well it works.

How does one find out which version of PostScript is supported by the
printer?

* Re: Printing from modern Emacsen
@ 2006-03-02  2:28       ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2006-03-02  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <u4q2i3rct.fsf@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> How does one find out which version of PostScript is supported by the
> printer?

Please send this PS code to a printer.  If it prints "Type42
font is NOT supported.", you can't use TTF font for
printing.

%PS

/Courier findfont 20 scalefont setfont

100 100 moveto

(LanguageLevel: ) show
/languagelevel where {
    pop languagelevel 10 string cvs
} {
    (1)
} ifelse show

100 70 moveto
(Type42 font is ) show
42 /FontType resourcestatus {
    pop pop (supported.)
} {
    (NOT supported.)
} ifelse show

showpage

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: Printing from modern Emacsen
@ 2006-03-02 11:37     ` Mark Aufflick
From: Mark Aufflick @ 2006-03-02 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

My Optra T610 gives the below error. According to the demo page it has
 Postscript 3. I assume it's genuine because it doesn't say
"Postscript Compatible"

Unfortunately I threw out my LaserWriter IIg a few years ago!

ERROR: invalidfont
OFFENDING COMMAND:

STACK:
  # ERROR: invalidfont
 # OFFENDING command: definefont

 # stack:

 -dictionary-
 /F01

 # ERRORINFO:

@ 2006-03-02 11:53       ` Mark Aufflick
From: Mark Aufflick @ 2006-03-02 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

@ 2006-03-03 12:55         ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2006-03-03 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: akochoi, Peter_Dyballa, zenitani, emacs-devel, arobert, hniksic,
	lennart.borgman.073

In article <E1FELWK-0000o8-00@etlken>, Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> writes:

>> # ERROR: configurationerror
>> # OFFENDING COMMAND: setpagedevice

The temp.ps I attached was for A4 paper.  Perhaps that's the
reason why the above error happens on your printer.

I attach two files type42-a4.ps (for A4 paper printer) and
type42-us.ps (for US-LETTER paper printer).  Could people
try a suitable one for your printer?

They also contain a check routine for Type42 capability.  If
your printer doesn't support it, "Type42 font is not
supported." is printed.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

[-- Attachment #2: type42-a4.ps --]
[-- Type: application/postscript, Size: 79893 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: type42-us.ps --]
[-- Type: application/postscript, Size: 79889 bytes --]

* Re: Printing from modern Emacsen
@ 2006-03-03 17:24         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-03-03 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org>
> Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 11:28:55 +0900
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> In article <u4q2i3rct.fsf@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > How does one find out which version of PostScript is supported by the
> > printer?
>
> Please send this PS code to a printer.  If it prints "Type42
> font is NOT supported.", you can't use TTF font for
> printing.

It printed:

  LanguageLevel: 2
  Type42 font is supported

Does that mean my printer is new enough, and your worfkarounds for
older printers cannot be tested on my printer?

For the record, I have this printer for at least 4 years.

* Re: Printing from modern Emacsen
@ 2006-03-04 12:37           ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2006-03-04 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Failure on printing

    type42-us.ps

with an   HP-DeskJet-932C   that was in an unopened box.
It was probably from the late 1990s; I had to purchase a new color ink
cartridge, I suspect because the old one had dried.  I am using
`cupsys'.  According to `poptions -l', the printer is running these

    PageRegion/PageRegion: *Letter
    PrintoutMode/Printout Mode: *Normal
    Quality/Resolution, Quality, Ink Type, Media Type: *300ColorCMYK

I tried printing both from a recent CVS Emacs using `M-x lpr-buffer'
and again from a command line as `lp type42-us.ps'.  Both attempts
resulted in this message being printed instead of anything else:

    # ERROR: configurationerror

    # OFFENDING COMMAND: setpagedevice

    # STACK:

    -dictionary-

    # ERRORINFO:

    false
     /ManualFeed

The command line

    gv type42-us.ps

for gv version 3.6.1 also produced the same message.

However, a PostScript file printed successfully when it was created
with dvi2ps version 3.2j.  This also created a file starting
%!PS-Adobe-3.0 but the PostScript file said:

    %%BeginFile: /usr/share/texmf/dvi2ps/headers/dvi2.ps

My error is different from that which Mark Aufflick saw with his
Optra T610, which is different from what Eli Zaretskii saw with his
printer.

(My LaserJet IIP stopped working so I am now dependent on the
HP-DeskJet-932C.)

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    bob@rattlesnake.com                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8

* Re: Printing from modern Emacsen
@ 2006-03-07 13:04           ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2006-03-07 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <u1wxj4f1i.fsf@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> It printed:

>   LanguageLevel: 2
>   Type42 font is supported

> Does that mean my printer is new enough, and your worfkarounds for
> older printers cannot be tested on my printer?

I found that there are some levels in a way of supporting
Type42 font.  It seesm that my code (using incremental
glyph-data definition) works only with the interpreter
version 2015 and greater.  Here's the new code to check it.

Could people who has a printer that couldn't print the code
I sent please send the attached code to that printer?

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

%PS

/Courier findfont 20 scalefont setfont

50 200 moveto
(Version/Revision: ) show version show (/) show revision 10 string cvs show
50 180 moveto
(LanguageLevel: ) show
/languagelevel where {
    pop languagelevel 10 string cvs
} {
    (1)
} ifelse show

50 160 moveto
(Type42 font is ) show
42 /FontType resourcestatus {
    pop pop (supported,) show
    50 140 moveto
    version cvi 2015 ge {
	(with incremental glyph-data definition.) show
    } {
	(but incremental definition is not.) show
    } ifelse
} {
    (not supported.) show
} ifelse

showpage

* Re: Printing from modern Emacsen
@ 2006-03-07 19:38             ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]             ` <m1FGlVk-0004FVC@rattlesnake.com>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-03-07 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 22:04:53 +0900
>
> In article <u1wxj4f1i.fsf@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > It printed:
>
> >   LanguageLevel: 2
> >   Type42 font is supported
>
> > Does that mean my printer is new enough, and your worfkarounds for
> > older printers cannot be tested on my printer?
>
> I found that there are some levels in a way of supporting
> Type42 font.  It seesm that my code (using incremental
> glyph-data definition) works only with the interpreter
> version 2015 and greater.  Here's the new code to check it.
>
> Could people who has a printer that couldn't print the code
> I sent please send the attached code to that printer?

On my printer, it printed:

  Version/Revision: 2014.111/0
  LanguageLevel: 2
  Type42 font is supported,
  but incremental definition is not.

Do you want me to try sending the code you sent earlier to this
printer?

* Re: Printing from modern Emacsen
@ 2006-03-07 21:46             ` Robert J. Chassell
       [not found]             ` <m1FGlVk-0004FVC@rattlesnake.com>
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2006-03-07 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Happily, `gv' provided this,

    Version/Revision: 3010/81501
    LanguageLevel:  3
    Type42 font is supported,
    with incremental glyph-data definition.

However, my HP-DeskJet-932C running CUPS simply printed the file as if
it were plain text -- i.e., it printed lines such as `50 200 moveto'
-- both from Emacs using `M-x lpr-buffer' and from a command line.

--

@ 2006-03-08  0:51               ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2006-03-08  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <uy7zmrqnu.fsf@gnu.org>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> On my printer, it printed:

>   Version/Revision: 2014.111/0
>   LanguageLevel: 2
>   Type42 font is supported,
>   but incremental definition is not.

> Do you want me to try sending the code you sent earlier to this
> printer?

No need.  The version must be 2015 or greater.  Yours is a
very little bit old.  :-(

When I have a time in the future, I'll work on a version of
non-incremental Type42 font definition.  But, for the
moment, I'd like to figure out why my code doesn't work on
some printer that is expected to support incremental
definition of Type42 font.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: Printing from modern Emacsen
@ 2006-03-09  7:46             ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2006-03-09  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

By reading TTF/OTF spec again, I found that
checkSumAdjustment slot of `head' table must be recalculated
on generating a Type42 font.  I was copying `head' table
verbatim in the previous code, but it seems that gs and some
printers just ignore that value, and thus processed the code
without error.

Here's the new code.  I eliminated all unnecessary part (no
setpagedevice for A4 or US-LETTER, etc), so an error if
occurred is surely because of the Type42 handling code.  It
just prints cyrillic-iso8859-5 characters in 16x6 form (at
the bottom of a paper).

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

[-- Attachment #2: type42.ps --]
[-- Type: application/postscript, Size: 45430 bytes --]

@ 2006-03-09  8:06               ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2006-03-09  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <m1FGlVk-0004FVC@rattlesnake.com>, "Robert J. Chassell" <bob@rattlesnake.com> writes:

> Happily, `gv' provided this,

>     Version/Revision: 3010/81501
>     LanguageLevel:  3
>     Type42 font is supported,
>     with incremental glyph-data definition.

> However, my HP-DeskJet-932C running CUPS simply printed the file as if
> it were plain text -- i.e., it printed lines such as `50 200 moveto'
> -- both from Emacs using `M-x lpr-buffer' and from a command line.

Ah, that's because the new check code I sent started with
this line:
%PS
It should start with this line:
%!PS
to make CUPS understand that is not a text file but a
PostScript file and thus should invoke gs to generate a
proper image data for HP-DeskJet-932C.

> My printer should have been able to print your sample file.
> I just printed a test page for the CUPS software that said

>     PostScript: Level 3

>     Version: 3010 (81501)

>     Product: ESP Ghostscript

>     Serial #: 42

> Also, `gv' displayed the test page.

Do you mean that you can now print my sample file CORRECTLY
(perhaps after fixing some CUPS configulation)?

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: Printing from modern Emacsen
@ 2006-03-09 13:06                 ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2006-03-09 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Using CUPS and an HP-DeskJet-932C printer

GNU Emacs 22.0.50.6 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.12)
of 2006-03-08

    It should start with this line:
    %!PS
    to make CUPS understand that is not a text file ...

Yes, having made that change I can print your test file from 2006
March 7 (`Type42 font is supported,') as PostScipt from yesterday's
CVS Emacs using `C-x h' (mark-whole-buffer) and then `M-x lpr-region'.

Also, I can print your test from today, 2006 Mar 9, which shows
Cyrillic.

Thanks!