all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* fencepost is fucked; anyone know what's going on?
@ 2003-08-03  0:48 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2003-08-03  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for the off-topic message.

The ssh setup on fencepost.gnu.org has apparently changed, and I can't
login (and thus can't read my mail).

I've sent off a mail to <sysadmin@gnu.org> but they're not known for
their quick responses (and I suppose they could be locked out too)...
is there anyone on this list who knows what's going on?

As I mentioned, I can't read my email at gnu, so if someone replies to
this message, please do so to the list (readable via the web archives),
or send it to <snogglethorpe@yahoo.com>, which I can still read.

Thanks,

-Miles
--
I'd rather be consing.

* Re: fencepost is fucked; anyone know what's going on?
@ 2003-08-03  7:03 ` Nic
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Nic @ 2003-08-03  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> Sorry for the off-topic message.
>
> The ssh setup on fencepost.gnu.org has apparently changed, and I can't
> login (and thus can't read my mail).
>
> I've sent off a mail to <sysadmin@gnu.org> but they're not known for
> their quick responses (and I suppose they could be locked out too)...
> is there anyone on this list who knows what's going on?
>
> As I mentioned, I can't read my email at gnu, so if someone replies to
> this message, please do so to the list (readable via the web archives),
> or send it to <snogglethorpe@yahoo.com>, which I can still read.

gnudist got hacked (some time ago) and so the fsf might well have
closed everything down for a while.

Nic

* Re: fencepost is fucked; anyone know what's going on?
@ 2003-08-03 10:24 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2003-08-03 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> Sorry for the off-topic message.
>
> The ssh setup on fencepost.gnu.org has apparently changed, and I can't
> login (and thus can't read my mail).

I got a mail yesterday saying everyone has to re-enable their
accounts again. Same procedure as last time, but this time only SSH2
public key logins will be accepted (I thought that was the case last
time, but apparently some people still had password logins).

* Re: fencepost is fucked; anyone know what's going on?
@ 2003-08-03 11:55 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-08-03 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org>
> Date: 03 Aug 2003 09:48:48 +0900
>
> The ssh setup on fencepost.gnu.org has apparently changed, and I can't
> login (and thus can't read my mail).
>
> I've sent off a mail to <sysadmin@gnu.org> but they're not known for
> their quick responses (and I suppose they could be locked out too)...
> is there anyone on this list who knows what's going on?

About 15 hours ago I got a message saying that gnu.org machines were
cracked, and that all accounts are therefore suspended until they
reinstall everything and reactivate all accounts from scratch.  You
should have received that message as well, with a request to send
them your SSHv2 public key and some general information they need to
know about the purpose of your use of gnu.org machines.

FWIW, I cannot login to fencepost as well.

* Re: fencepost is fucked; anyone know what's going on?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-08-04 17:18 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-08-04 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    The ssh setup on fencepost.gnu.org has apparently changed, and I can't
    login (and thus can't read my mail).

What exactly is the error message you get?
The problem might be because the host key has changed.

* Re: fencepost is fucked; anyone know what's going on?
@ 2003-08-04 19:02   ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2003-08-04 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> * In message <E19jiye-00087r-2M@fencepost.gnu.org>
> * On the subject of "Re: fencepost is fucked; anyone know what's going on?"
> * Sent on Mon, 04 Aug 2003 13:18:32 -0400
> * Honorable Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
>     The ssh setup on fencepost.gnu.org has apparently changed, and I can't
>     login (and thus can't read my mail).
>
> What exactly is the error message you get?
> The problem might be because the host key has changed.

is the new host key for fencepost
"20:28:96:d6:a4:bc:61:4c:b0:85:19:59:0c:97:2a:5b"?
is the new host key for savannah
"7f:c0:14:7d:35:cb:9a:e3:59:52:07:3a:2b:5a:7d:0b"?

thanks!

<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
Never succeed from the first try - if you do, nobody will think it was hard.

* Re: fencepost is fucked; anyone know what's going on?
@ 2003-08-07  0:14     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2003-08-07  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone had their account re-enabled yet?  I got the call from the
FSF to confirm my ssh info two days ago, but still can't login to
fencepost via ssh, and email goes unanswered.  I'm starting to wonder
if there's something else wrong with my setup.

This is the error I get (I've confirmed the changed fencepost host id):

   $ ssh fencepost.gnu.org
   Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).

Another worrying point:  apparently something has also been changed with
the mail-system, as email to my gnu.org address is _bouncing_ instead of
just piling up in my mailbox, and I can't login to fix things!

-Miles
--
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
-Oscar Wilde

* Re: fencepost is fucked; anyone know what's going on?
@ 2003-08-07  6:12       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-08-07  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org>
> Date: 07 Aug 2003 09:14:58 +0900
>
> Has anyone had their account re-enabled yet?

I got a message about mine being reactivated at 1am GMT today.
And indeed, I managed to login to fencepost this morning.

> Another worrying point:  apparently something has also been changed with
> the mail-system, as email to my gnu.org address is _bouncing_ instead of
> just piling up in my mailbox, and I can't login to fix things!

You could ask system-hackers to fix them for you.

* Re: fencepost is fucked; anyone know what's going on?
@ 2003-08-07 12:56       ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2003-08-07 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Miles Bader asks

    Has anyone had their account re-enabled yet?  I got the call from the
    FSF to confirm my ssh info two days ago, but still can't login to
    fencepost via ssh, and email goes unanswered.  I'm starting to wonder
    if there's something else wrong with my setup.

I have confirmed the new fencepost host id; I have not received a
telephone call; and I am not able to log in:

     $ date +"%a, %Y %h %e  %H:%M:%S %Z" ; ssh -l bob fencepost.gnu.org
    Thu, 2003 Aug  7  12:52:07 UTC
    Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).

    http://www.teak.cc                             bob@rattlesnake.com

* Re: fencepost is fucked; anyone know what's going on?
@ 2003-08-07 13:40         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-08-07 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

"Robert J. Chassell" <bob@rattlesnake.com> writes:

> Miles Bader asks
>
>     Has anyone had their account re-enabled yet?  I got the call from the
>     FSF to confirm my ssh info two days ago, but still can't login to
>     fencepost via ssh, and email goes unanswered.  I'm starting to wonder
>     if there's something else wrong with my setup.
>
> I have confirmed the new fencepost host id; I have not received a
> telephone call; and I am not able to log in:
>
>      $ date +"%a, %Y %h %e  %H:%M:%S %Z" ; ssh -l bob fencepost.gnu.org
>     Thu, 2003 Aug  7  12:52:07 UTC
>     Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).

Which was the state of affairs till yesterday for me as well.  There
seemingly is a large number of accounts to deal with, and not much of
a standard procedure or manpower for dealing with a case like that
fast enough for everyone's comfort.  Unless matters are very urgent
for you (I had important mail piling up that I could not access,
dak@gnu.org being my principal account), I would wait a few days more.
Remember that the usual autoreply from accounts@gnu.org tells you to
wait for three business days for a reaction, and that is for the case
where not every account has gone off disabled at the same time.

* Re: fencepost is fucked; anyone know what's going on?
@ 2003-08-07 14:13           ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2003-08-07 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> responded by saying

   Which was the state of affairs till yesterday for me as well.  There
   seemingly is a large number of accounts to deal with, and not much of
   a standard procedure or manpower for dealing with a case like that
   fast enough for everyone's comfort.  Unless matters are very urgent
   for you ... , I would wait a few days more.

Yes, I plan to wait.  I know that Brad is busy, as are others.

The problem is that the message I received on Saturday said

    We will provide a new solution for unattended uploads, and a
    script to make it easy.  We expect to have instructions and the
    script this available sometime on Monday 4 August 2003 (or Tuesday
    by noon at the latest).

and I interpreted that, perhaps wrongly, as meaning that logins would
be reenabled by Tuesday noon at the latest as well.

It is easier on everyone if we are informed about the situation.
Rather than leave me and others in the dark, it is better to post a
message to everyone, even though that action will take five or ten
minutes and therefore delayg my and others' ability to log on by five
or ten minutes,

Also, Miles asked a different, and serious question, namely what is
the situation after confirming his SSH info and why is email to his
gnu.org address bouncing instead of just piling up in his mailbox?  He
did not ask, but his implied question is whether someone else is going
to fix that problem for him (and maybe for the rest of us, too) if he
or we cannot log in.

Those are questions that should be answered in a message to all of us.

Situational updates are vital.

    http://www.teak.cc                             bob@rattlesnake.com