all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* battery status in modeline
@ 2010-04-16  9:54 Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-04-16  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

The only real reason to run X on my little dell 10 is because I know how
much battery I have left.
But now I've done this

(defun bat()
  (interactive)
  (shell-command "grep 'present rate' /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state"))

And maybe I don't need it anymore, it would be really nice to show in
the modeline how much battery power I have left.

Given that the modeline is already crowded also I could show it only
when reaching a certain threshold.  Is there anything like that already
done?

* Re: battery status in modeline
@ 2010-04-16 10:35 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-04-16 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 11:54:24 +0200
>
> And maybe I don't need it anymore, it would be really nice to show in
> the modeline how much battery power I have left.

Try "M-x display-battery-mode RET".

* Re: battery status in modeline
@ 2010-04-16 11:09 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-04-16 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> The only real reason to run X on my little dell 10 is because I know how
> much battery I have left.
> But now I've done this

> (defun bat()
>   (interactive)
>   (shell-command "grep 'present rate' /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state"))
>

> And maybe I don't need it anymore, it would be really nice to show in
> the modeline how much battery power I have left.
>
> Given that the modeline is already crowded also I could show it only
> when reaching a certain threshold.  Is there anything like that already
> done?

This is a good example of using apropos help. Big word for commonly
requested feature. Find any commands including a certain word.

For me:

,----
| C-h a runs the command apropos, which is an interactive compiled Lisp
| function in `apropos.el'.
`----

Type in "battery" and Bob's your Uncle ;)

hth

* Re: battery status in modeline
@ 2010-04-16 12:16   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-04-16 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Try "M-x display-battery-mode RET".
Oh god :D
I really didn't think this one was already implemented, next time I'll
check for anything ;)
Thanks

* Re: battery status in modeline
@ 2010-04-16 12:19   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-04-16 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Try "M-x display-battery-mode RET".

One more problem is that from the terminal the screen is not big enough
and the modeline doesn't fit...
Is there a way to change the size of the font automatically depending on
how many columns are available maybe??

* Re: battery status in modeline
@ 2010-04-16 12:44     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-04-16 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>

>> Try "M-x display-battery-mode RET".
>
> One more problem is that from the terminal the screen is not big enough
> and the modeline doesn't fit...
> Is there a way to change the size of the font automatically depending on
> how many columns are available maybe??

In a terminal emacs should automatically size. Did you override your
$TERM setting??

* Re: battery status in modeline
@ 2010-04-16 15:19     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-04-16 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.04.2010 um 14:19 schrieb Andrea Crotti:

> One more problem is that from the terminal the screen is not big
> enough
> and the modeline doesn't fit...
> Is there a way to change the size of the font automatically
> depending on
> how many columns are available maybe??

Which terminal from the future are using that allows to use different
fonts?!

--
Greetings

   Pete

"By filing this bug report you have challenged the honor of my family.
Prepare to die!"

* Re: battery status in modeline
@ 2010-04-16 16:30       ` Johan Busk Eriksson
From: Johan Busk Eriksson @ 2010-04-16 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Andrea Crotti

At Fri, 16 Apr 2010 17:19:14 +0200,
Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 16.04.2010 um 14:19 schrieb Andrea Crotti:
>
> > One more problem is that from the terminal the screen is not big
> > enough
> > and the modeline doesn't fit...
> > Is there a way to change the size of the font automatically
> > depending on
> > how many columns are available maybe??
>

> Which terminal from the future are using that allows to use different
> fonts?!
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete
>
> "By filing this bug report you have challenged the honor of my family.
> Prepare to die!"

Being able to use different fonts and resolutions in
console/framebuffer does not require a virtual terminal of the
future. In a recent update of my particular flavour of GNU, it even
detected automagically the most optimal one for me, something I had
been too lazy to do manually before.

Regards
Johan Busk Eriksson

* Re: battery status in modeline
@ 2010-04-16 17:51         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-04-16 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Busk Eriksson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Andrea Crotti

Am 16.04.2010 um 18:30 schrieb Johan Busk Eriksson:

> Being able to use different fonts and resolutions in
> console/framebuffer does not require a virtual terminal of the
> future.

OK, my question was not complete: which recent terminal are you using
that allows to display contents in more than one font (not font
variant like bold, italic/oblique, wide, or any combination of these)
at the same time? That's what Andrea is asking for...

A simple xterm can use, since decades, any font at any size the system
(or a font server) supplies. And it can be widened to display more
columns...

--
Greetings

   Pete

They're putting dimes in the hole in my head to see the change in me.