all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#13901: Emacs crashing Mac OS X when quit with a shell running
@ 2013-03-08  2:06 Andrew Pennebaker
From: Andrew Pennebaker @ 2013-03-08  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 13901

I often code with two windows open, one for code, one for a shell. When I'm
done editing a file, I press C-x C-c to quit Emacs. However, when I do this
in Mac OS X, my computer crashes.

Steps to Reproduce:

open Terminal.app
$ emacs
C-x 2
C-x o
M-x shell
C-x o
C-x C-f <file>
(finish editing)
C-x C-s
C-x C-c
"Active processes exist; kill them and exit anyway? (yes or no)"
yes
(OS crashes here)

System:

$ specs emacs brew bash os hardware
Specs:

specs 0.2
https://github.com/mcandre/specs#readme

emacs --version
GNU Emacs 24.2.1
GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of Emacs
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

brew --version
0.9.4

bash --version
GNU bash, version 3.2.48(1)-release (x86_64-apple-darwin12)

system_profiler SPSoftwareDataType | grep 'System Version'
      System Version: OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)

system_profiler | grep 'Model Identifier'
      Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5

Mitigation:

Until this is resolved, I have to remember to safely quit the shell process
before quitting Emacs.

C-x b *shell*
exit
"Process shell finished"
C-x C-c

--
Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker
www.yellosoft.us

* bug#13901: Emacs crashing Mac OS X when quit with a shell running
@ 2013-03-08  2:37 ` Andrew Pennebaker
From: Andrew Pennebaker @ 2013-03-08  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 13901

Update: Reproduce this bug with a shorter series of commands:

M-x shell RET C-x C-c yes

--
Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker
www.yellosoft.us

* bug#13901: Emacs crashing Mac OS X when quit with a shell running
@ 2013-03-08  6:47   ` Leo Liu
From: Leo Liu @ 2013-03-08  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pennebaker; +Cc: 13901

On 2013-03-08 10:37 +0800, Andrew Pennebaker wrote:
> Update: Reproduce this bug with a shorter series of commands:
>
> M-x shell RET C-x C-c yes

This is known to be a bug in osx's kernel. Nothing emacs can do. please
pester apple to fix it. (A bug has been filed with apple).

Leo