all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Menus detachment feature.
@ 2014-09-30 14:49 Sergey Organov
From: Sergey Organov @ 2014-09-30 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I suddenly found that my emacs (GNU Emacs 23.2.1, running on
Debian/Gnome) is capable of "detaching" some sub-menus and putting them
into separate frames. For example, if I click "File" in the main menu,
submenu appears containing dashed line at the top, and if I click on
that dashed line, entire "File" submenu appears in a separate frame.

I can't find anything about the feature by googling for it. Could somebody
please point me to relevant documentation?

Thanks.

--
Sergey.

* Re: Menus detachment feature.
       [not found] <mailman.10101.1412102429.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-10-01 10:47 ` Anssi Saari
From: Anssi Saari @ 2014-10-01 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com> writes:

> I suddenly found that my emacs (GNU Emacs 23.2.1, running on
> Debian/Gnome) is capable of "detaching" some sub-menus and putting them
> into separate frames.

Could it be this is a Gnome feature? I don't see anything like that on
my systems.

* Re: Menus detachment feature.
@ 2014-10-01 11:19   ` Gian Uberto Lauri
From: Gian Uberto Lauri @ 2014-10-01 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Anssi Saari; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

It's a feature of the GTK toolkit.

--
Gian Uberto

@ 2014-10-01 11:23   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2014-10-01 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Anssi Saari <as@sci.fi> writes:

> Could it be this is a Gnome feature? I don't see anything like that on
> my systems.

I think it's a GTK feature.  And AFAIK it can't be controlled from
within Emacs.

* Re: Menus detachment feature.
@ 2014-10-01 11:37   ` Sergey Organov
From: Sergey Organov @ 2014-10-01 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Anssi Saari <as@sci.fi> writes:

> Sergey Organov <sorganov@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I suddenly found that my emacs (GNU Emacs 23.2.1, running on
>> Debian/Gnome) is capable of "detaching" some sub-menus and putting them
>> into separate frames.
>
> Could it be this is a Gnome feature? I don't see anything like that on
> my systems.

It must be both Gnome and Emacs feature then, as some of Emacs submenus
do have it, and some don't. For example, in "Options", the "Line
Wrapping in this Buffer" submenu has the dashed line, while neither
"Mule (Multilingual Environment)" nor "Customize Emacs" have one.

I can't figure any template, as some submenus of non-detachable menus
could be detachable, and vice versa. Moreover, ["Tools" "Spell
Checking"] has this active dashed line right in the middle (between
"Complete Word Fragment" and "Complete Word"), not at the top.

The latter makes one think it's some special kind of separator, but I
fail to see something relevant in 22.17.1.3 Menu Separators.

--
Sergey.