all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* magit: Previous commit message keeps appearing
@ 2014-08-07 10:56 Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2014-08-07 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

from magit-status I use s to stage a couple of files, then "c c" to commit.
In another buffer I can edit the commit message. What puzzles me, is why
magit shows the commit message of the previous commit including the file
list.

Is this by design, some bug or am I wrong?

Emacs 24.3, magit from melpa.

Thanks,
Florian

* Re: magit: Previous commit message keeps appearing
@ 2014-08-07 11:17 ` Sebastian Wiesner
From: Sebastian Wiesner @ 2014-08-07 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am Donnerstag, 7. August 2014, 12:56:59 schrieb Florian Lindner:
> Hello,
>
> from magit-status I use s to stage a couple of files, then "c c" to commit.
> In another buffer I can edit the commit message. What puzzles me, is why
> magit shows the commit message of the previous commit including the file
> list.

Magit simply visits 	the COMMIT_EDITMSG file in .git/ when you make a commit.
Presumably, the buffer for this file wasn't killed after your previous commit,
and you don't have auto-revert-mode on.  Hence, the next commit would just
bring the existing COMMIT_EDITMSG buffer up again, with the old contents, like
if you re-visit a file again.

COMMIT_EDITMSG will have the right contents though, so M-x revert-buffer will
update the buffer accordingly.

* Re: magit: Previous commit message keeps appearing
@ 2014-08-07 11:20 ` Quanyang Liu
From: Quanyang Liu @ 2014-08-07 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 08/07/2014 06:56 PM, Florian Lindner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> from magit-status I use s to stage a couple of files, then "c c" to commit.
> In another buffer I can edit the commit message. What puzzles me, is why
> magit shows the commit message of the previous commit including the file
> list.
>
> Is this by design, some bug or am I wrong?
>
> Emacs 24.3, magit from melpa.
>
> Thanks,
> Florian

I have not seen that... Does it happen every time you commit?

--
Quanyang Liu (刘全阳)
Undergraduate

* Re: magit: Previous commit message keeps appearing
@ 2014-08-07 17:01   ` Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2014-08-07 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Quanyang Liu wrote:

> On 08/07/2014 06:56 PM, Florian Lindner wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> from magit-status I use s to stage a couple of files, then "c c" to
>> commit. In another buffer I can edit the commit message. What puzzles me,
>> is why magit shows the commit message of the previous commit including
>> the file list.
>>
>> Is this by design, some bug or am I wrong?
>>
>> Emacs 24.3, magit from melpa.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Florian
>>

> I have not seen that... Does it happen every time you commit?

Sebastian has explained it very well. I had a COMMIT_EDITMSG in my .git
directory. Since I was a kind of scared when this wrong commit message
appeared I always canceled the commit und the MSG persisted. Now I've
deleted the COMMIT_EDITMSG and did various successfull commits. It never
came back.

Regards,
Florian