I have updated my Emacs patches for multi-tty support. The new version has (I think) pretty reliable support for multiple tty devices. Plus, X support has been fixed, and now it is possible to have simultaneous termcap and X frames (although this mode is still somewhat unstable). The attached patch should apply cleanly against any recent CVS HEAD. Instructions for direct access to my arch branch and the latest patches may be found at http://lorentey.web.elte.hu/project/emacs.html There is a (silly) screenshot of a tty+X combo session at http://lorentey.web.elte.hu/images/emacs/multi-tty-screenshot.png Please let me know what you think about this project. I badly need testers, so if you think this would be useful for you, please give it a try and tell me your results. (Note that Mac, MSDOS and Windows support is broken at the moment, and I will probably need some help with these ports later.) Please read the README.multi-tty file for compilation instructions and known issues. The huge size of the patch is due to my converting of dozens of global variables into frame-local or display-local parameters. It was a pretty straightforward job, but I had to change a lot of code, and I had to made a few ,,design'' decisions. Therefore, I would also like comments and suggestions on the implementation from knowledgeable Emacs hackers -- please rip my code apart and tell me how ugly/inefficient/buggy it is. My goal is of course to have my branch merged into CVS HEAD at some point in the future. Long ago, when I converted from XEmacs to Emacs, this was the one feature that I sorely missed. Some use cases: * Emacs is notoriously slow at startup, so most people use another editor or emacsclient for quick editing jobs from the console. Unfortunately, emacsclient was very awkward to use, because it did not support opening a new Emacs frame on the current virtual console. Now, with multi-tty support, it can do that. (Note that emacsclient starts up even faster than vi!) * Some Gnus users (including me) run Gnus in an X frame in its own Emacs instance, which they typically leave running for weeks. It would be nice if they could connect to this instance from a remote ssh session and check their messages without opening a remote X frame or resorting to gnus-slave.