all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Tramp on 24.4/W32
@ 2014-04-11 19:41 Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2014-04-11 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Can anybody check if tramp is currently working on Emacs/W32 ?
I have tried a quick test and I can't seem to be able to save file on a
remote Unix machine, at least not out of the box.

c:\>emacs -Q

eval :
(require 'tramp)
(setq tramp-default-method "pscp"
      tramp-default-user "someuser"
      tramp-default-host "somemachine.supelec.fr"
      )

C-x f /popineau@somemachine.supelec.fr:/path/foo.txt
<insert some chars>
C-x f

The trace in *Messages* is :

Tramp: Opening connection for someuser@somemachine.supelec.fr using pscp...
Tramp: Sending command `plink -l someuser  -ssh somemachine.supelec.fr &&
exit || exit'
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...
Tramp: Sending password
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...done
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on `somemachine.supelec.fr'
Tramp: Opening connection for someuser@somemachine.supelec.fr using
pscp...done
Tramp: Inserting
`/pscp:someuser@somemachine.supelec.fr:/home/someuser/foo.txt'...
Tramp: Encoding remote file
`/pscp:someuser@somemachine.supelec.fr:/home/someuser/foo.txt' with `base64
<%s'...done
Tramp: Decoding local file
`c:/Users/Fabrice/AppData/Local/Temp/tramp.19980XYi.txt' with `base64-
decode-region'...done
Tramp: Inserting
`/pscp:someuser@somemachine.supelec.fr:/home/someuser/foo.txt'...done

Tramp: Checking `vc-registered' for
/pscp:someuser@somemachine.supelec.fr:/home/someuser/foo.txt...done
Tramp: Inserting
`/pscp:someuser@somemachine.supelec.fr:/home/someuser/foo.txt'...done
Saving file /pscp:someuser@somemachine.supelec.fr:/home/someuser/foo.txt...
Renaming /pscp:someuser@somemachine.supelec.fr:/home/someuser/foo.txt to
/pscp:someuser@somemachine.supelec.fr:/home/someuser/foo.txt~...done
Tramp: Encoding local file
`c:/Users/Fabrice/AppData/Local/Temp/tramp.19980xsu.txt' using `base64-
encode-region'...done
Tramp: Decoding remote file
`/pscp:someuser@somemachine.supelec.fr:/home/someuser/foo.txt' using `base64
-d -i >%s'...failed
Renaming /pscp:someuser@somemachine.supelec.fr:/home/someuser/foo.txt~ to
/pscp:someuser@somemachine.supelec.fr:/home/someuser/foo.txt...done
byte-code: Couldn't write region to
`/pscp:someuser@somemachine.supelec.fr:/home/someuser/foo.txt', decode using
`base64 -d -i >%s' failed
Making completion list...
Mark set

Any idea of what's going on ?

Thanks in advance,

Fabrice

* Re: Tramp on 24.4/W32
@ 2014-04-12  9:23 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2014-04-12  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Popineau; +Cc: emacs-devel

Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Fabrice,

> Can anybody check if tramp is currently working on Emacs/W32 ?
> I have tried a quick test and I can't seem to be able to save file on a
> remote Unix machine, at least not out of the box.

[...]

> Tramp: Decoding remote file
> `/pscp:someuser@somemachine.supelec.fr:/home/someuser/foo.txt' using `base64
> -d -i >%s'...failed

That doesn't tell too much. Could you, pease, perform
(setq tramp-verbose 6) and rerun the test? The resulting Tramp debug
buffer shall show what's up.

And no, I cannot check Tramp on MS Windows. I don't run such a machine.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Fabrice

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Tramp on 24.4/W32
@ 2014-04-12  9:41   ` Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2014-04-12  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Michael Albinus <michael.albinus <at> gmx.de> writes:

> That doesn't tell too much. Could you, pease, perform
> (setq tramp-verbose 6) and rerun the test? The resulting Tramp debug
> buffer shall show what's up.

Thanks for your answer and forget about my request.
Someone asked me because tramp didn't work for her.
So I wanted to give it a try and I connected to some machine at work
and failed to write a simple file.
The reason (to my great shame!) : my sysadmin
has put quota on accounts on this machine since last time I connected there.
(And quota of 0 because it is assumed this machine is onl meant to be a
gateway)
So lets assume it is working for w32 as expected out of the box, with pscp.

Regards,

fabrice