all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* comp.emacs on gmane?
@ 2007-05-17 12:13 Seweryn
       [not found] ` <mailman.841.1179536911.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Seweryn @ 2007-05-17 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm just wondering if I cannot find it or comp.emacs group is not available on
gmane? I'm using gnus for reading newsgroups from gmane but how to receive posts
from comp.emacs group?

regards,
Seweryn

* Re: comp.emacs on gmane?
       [not found] <mailman.765.1179404563.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-17 12:26 ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2007-05-17 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Seweryn (2007-05-17) writes:

> I'm just wondering if I cannot find it or comp.emacs group is not
> available on gmane? I'm using gnus for reading newsgroups from gmane
> but how to receive posts from comp.emacs group?

comp.emacs is a usenet group, not a mailing list.

--
Ralf

@ 2007-05-17 12:34 ` Tyler Smith
From: Tyler Smith @ 2007-05-17 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2007-05-17, Seweryn <s.kokot@po.opole.pl> wrote:

> I'm just wondering if I cannot find it or comp.emacs group is not
> available on gmane? I'm using gnus for reading newsgroups from gmane
> but how to receive posts from comp.emacs group?

As comp.emacs is a newsgroup, you can read it in a newsreader. Gmane,
AIUI, is a portal that converts mailing lists into newsgroup
format. So it won't likely have anything to do with comp.emacs, which
is already a newsgroup.

You just have to point gnus at your local newsserver, your ISP most
likely provides one.

HTH,

Tyler

* Re: comp.emacs on gmane?
@ 2007-05-19  0:37 ` Michael Olson
       [not found] ` <mailman.841.1179536911.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Olson @ 2007-05-19  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Seweryn <s.kokot@po.opole.pl> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm just wondering if I cannot find it or comp.emacs group is not
> available on gmane? I'm using gnus for reading newsgroups from gmane
> but how to receive posts from comp.emacs group?

Perhaps you're looking for gmane.emacs.help.

--
       Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652     |
 http://mwolson.org/ -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net  |  /` |\ | | |

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: comp.emacs on gmane?
       [not found] ` <mailman.841.1179536911.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-19  4:31   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-05-19  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Olson <mwolson@gnu.org> writes:

> Seweryn <s.kokot@po.opole.pl> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm just wondering if I cannot find it or comp.emacs group is not
>> available on gmane? I'm using gnus for reading newsgroups from gmane
>> but how to receive posts from comp.emacs group?
>
> Perhaps you're looking for gmane.emacs.help.
>
> --
>        Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652     |
>  http://mwolson.org/ -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net  |  /` |\ | | |
>             Sysadmin -- Hobbies: Lisp, GP2X, HCoop    | |_] | \| |_|
> Projects: Emacs, Muse, ERC, EMMS, ErBot, DVC, Planner |

I thought comp.emacs was depricated as a group?

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: comp.emacs on gmane?
@ 2007-05-19  6:44   ` Seweryn Kokot
From: Seweryn Kokot @ 2007-05-19  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Olson <mwolson@gnu.org> writes:

> Seweryn <s.kokot@po.opole.pl> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm just wondering if I cannot find it or comp.emacs group is not
>> available on gmane? I'm using gnus for reading newsgroups from gmane
>> but how to receive posts from comp.emacs group?
>
> Perhaps you're looking for gmane.emacs.help.
No, I've already found gmane.emacs.help and from this group I started
this question. Thanks to Ralf I know what was the problem in my
thinking.

regards,
Seweryn

* Re: comp.emacs on gmane?
@ 2007-05-19  6:56     ` Seweryn Kokot
From: Seweryn Kokot @ 2007-05-19  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

> I thought comp.emacs was depricated as a group?
Yes, it's not good that basically similar kinds of questions are here and
there. Up to now I didn't know about comp.emacs newsgroup and I could
find useful information there. BTW it is better to use one group
otherwise people's efforts with helping are dispersed. Some answers to
my questions which I couldn't find here, I found there and the other way round.

Seweryn

* Re: comp.emacs on gmane?
@ 2007-05-19 14:29   ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2007-05-19 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> writes:

> As comp.emacs is a newsgroup, you can read it in a newsreader.
> Gmane, AIUI, is a portal that converts mailing lists into newsgroup
> format. So it won't likely have anything to do with comp.emacs,
> which is already a newsgroup.
>
> You just have to point gnus at your local newsserver, your ISP most
> likely provides one.

FWIW, news.gnus.org carries comp.emacs (along with other emacs related
news groups).

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: comp.emacs on gmane?
@ 2007-05-19 15:38     ` Seweryn Kokot
From: Seweryn Kokot @ 2007-05-19 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) writes:
> Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> writes:
>
>> As comp.emacs is a newsgroup, you can read it in a newsreader.
>> Gmane, AIUI, is a portal that converts mailing lists into newsgroup
>> format. So it won't likely have anything to do with comp.emacs,
>> which is already a newsgroup.
>>
>> You just have to point gnus at your local newsserver, your ISP most
>> likely provides one.
>
> FWIW, news.gnus.org carries comp.emacs (along with other emacs related
> news groups).

I tried news.gnus.org server two days ago but it is not up-to-data with the
posts. There is a lag of one day or something. So I'm using a local news
server.