all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: those strange characters
@ 2005-07-25 21:28 ` Martin Slouf
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Martin Slouf @ 2005-07-25 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw

try 'ls --color=never'

you have escape sequences (ie. colours) turned on for your 'ls' statement

to be true, i do not know, where to switch it off globally.  it is set up in
some very basic shell scripts to provide colour listening in xterm.

m.

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 05:50:20AM -0700, Baloff wrote:
> Hello
> I did
> $script somefile
> $ls
> $exit
> $cat somefile
> shows the output of $ls
>
> in emacs, C-x C-f somefile
> the output of $ls, each item is listed between ^[[0m group of charactres
> on both sided of each item.
>
> so if I have an item like myFile, it would look ^[[0mmyFile^[[0m
>
> thanks

* those strange characters
@ 2005-07-26 12:50 Baloff
From: Baloff @ 2005-07-26 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw

@ 2005-07-26 12:59 ` Baloff
       [not found] ` <mailman.1775.1122390187.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Baloff @ 2005-07-26 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw

Baloff wrote:

> Hello
> I did
> $script somefile
> $ls
> $exit
> $cat somefile
> shows the output of $ls
>
> in emacs, C-x C-f somefile
> the output of $ls, each item is listed between ^[[0m group of charactres
> on both sided of each item.
>
> so if I have an item like myFile, it would look ^[[0mmyFile^[[0m
>
> thanks
I have in my /.emacs
(global-set-key [f5] 'cut-ctrlM)
(defun cut-ctrlM()
(interactive)
(beginning-of-buffer)
(while (search-forward "\r" nil t)
(replace-match "" nil t)))

but when I hit [f5]
the minibuffer shows "Mark set" and nothing  happens in the buffer.
the same results happens when I M-x cut-ctrlM, "Mark set" and nothing else.

thanks

* Re: those strange characters
@ 2005-07-26 14:57 ` Emilio Lopes
       [not found] ` <mailman.1775.1122390187.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emilio Lopes @ 2005-07-26 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw

Baloff <vddr2u <at> bi.edu.gr> writes:

> I did
> $script somefile
> $ls
> $exit
> $cat somefile
> shows the output of $ls
>
> in emacs, C-x C-f somefile
> the output of $ls, each item is listed between ^[[0m group of charactres
> on both sided of each item.
>
> so if I have an item like myFile, it would look ^[[0mmyFile^[[0m

Go to the said buffer.  Type "M-:" (`eval-expression').
At the prompt type

   (ansi-color-apply-on-region (point-min) (point-max))

You might need to type "M-x load-library RET ansi-color RET"
before.

@ 2005-07-30 23:24   ` Baloff
From: Baloff @ 2005-07-30 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw

Emilio Lopes <eclig@gmx.net> writes:

> Baloff <vddr2u <at> bi.edu.gr> writes:
>
> > I did
> > $script somefile
> > $ls
> > $exit
> > $cat somefile
> > shows the output of $ls
> >
> > in emacs, C-x C-f somefile
> > the output of $ls, each item is listed between ^[[0m group of charactres
> > on both sided of each item.
> >
> > so if I have an item like myFile, it would look ^[[0mmyFile^[[0m
>

> Go to the said buffer.  Type "M-:" (`eval-expression').
> At the prompt type
>
>    (ansi-color-apply-on-region (point-min) (point-max))
>
> You might need to type "M-x load-library RET ansi-color RET"
> before.

thanks, now how do I make this fix a permenant action when ever I use
emacs in the future. do I need to add the 2 lines in my /.emacs file

(load-library "ansi-color")