all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* question about ediff-mode in emacs.
@ 2005-06-14  9:25 na frederic
From: na frederic @ 2005-06-14  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, I've some question concerning ediff-mode in
emacs.

first,
I would like to know if it is possible with ediff mode
to ignore some regexp, or make some default choice
when a difference match a regexp on the 2 buffer?

it could be usefull with generated files whiche
creates some numbered or dated references whicha are
naturaly different by construcion.

Second.
I would like to know if there is a possibility to
display long files names in *Ediff File Group
Differences* Buffer?

this fonctionality already exist in *Ediff Session
Group Panel* buffer.

Regards.
frédéric.

* Re: question about ediff-mode in emacs.
@ 2005-06-14 10:23 ` Emilio Lopes
From: Emilio Lopes @ 2005-06-14 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

na frederic <f_frederic_f_52 <at> yahoo.fr> writes:

> I would like to know if it is possible with ediff mode
> to ignore some regexp, or make some default choice
> when a difference match a regexp on the 2 buffer?

See the bindings "# f" and "# h".  From the info file:

     Ediff works hard to ameliorate the effects of boredom in the
     workplace...

     Quite often differences are due to identical replacements (e.g.,
     the word `foo' is replaced with the word `bar' everywhere).  If
     the number of regions with such boring differences exceeds your
     tolerance threshold, you may be tempted to tell Ediff to skip
     these regions altogether (you will still be able to jump to them
     via the command `j').  The above commands, `#h' and `#f', may well
     save your day!

     `#h' prompts you to specify regular expressions for each variant.
     Difference regions where each variant's region matches the
     corresponding regular expression will be skipped from then on.
     (You can also tell Ediff to skip regions where at least one
     variant matches its regular expression.)

     `#f' does dual job: it focuses on regions that match the
     corresponding regular expressions.  All other regions will be
     skipped over.  *Note Selective Browsing::, for more.