all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* shell-script mode index
@ 2014-06-24 14:56 Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2014-06-24 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there an extension to shell-script mode that shows a function index,
like the index menu for C or Java?

* Re: shell-script mode index
@ 2014-06-25 20:20 ` W. Greenhouse
From: W. Greenhouse @ 2014-06-25 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Ken Goldman <kgoldman-r/Jw6+rmf7HQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Is there an extension to shell-script mode that shows a function
> index, like the index menu for C or Java?

M-x imenu RET and M-x speedbar RET will both give you a menu of function
definitions in shell-script-mode: the former via minibuffer, the latter
via a separate Emacs frame.

* Re: shell-script mode index
@ 2014-06-26  1:14 ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2014-06-26  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ken Goldman <kgoldman@us.ibm.com> writes:

> Is there an extension to shell-script mode that shows a function index, like the
> index menu for C or Java?

M-x imenu

--
William

http://xwl.appspot.com

* Re: shell-script mode index
@ 2014-06-26 16:45   ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2014-06-26 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 6/25/2014 4:20 PM, W. Greenhouse wrote:

> Ken Goldman <kgoldman@us.ibm.com> writes:
>
>> Is there an extension to shell-script mode that shows a function
>> index, like the index menu for C or Java?
>
> M-x imenu RET and M-x speedbar RET will both give you a menu of function
> definitions in shell-script-mode: the former via minibuffer, the latter
> via a separate Emacs frame.

speedbar show the file without any expansion into functions.

imenu gives me a prompt "Index item" but does not create an index menu.

I'm glad to know it should work, but I wonder if I have to load some
package?

(This is 23.1.1 on RHEL Linux, if that matters).

* RE: shell-script mode index
@ 2014-06-26 17:05     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-06-26 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Goldman, help-gnu-emacs

> imenu gives me a prompt "Index item" but does not create an index menu.
>
> I'm glad to know it should work, but I wonder if I have to load some
> package?

No. You just need to read the doc.

`C-h i m elisp i imenu'

`M-x imenu-add-menu-bar-index', then `M-x imenu'.

Or `M-x imenu-add-to-menu-bar FOO', then use menu-bar menu `FOO'.

* Re: shell-script mode index
@ 2014-06-26 20:20       ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2014-06-26 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 6/26/2014 1:05 PM, Drew Adams wrote:

> `M-x imenu-add-menu-bar-index', then `M-x imenu'.

Thanks.  That worked.  I put this in .emacs:

(add-hook 'sh-mode-hook
	  (function (lambda ()
		      (setq imenu-sort-function 'imenu--sort-by-name)
		      (setq imenu-max-items 40)
		      (imenu buffer-file-name)
		      (imenu-add-to-menubar "index")
		      )))

I now have this (and lots of other code repeated) for a few hooks.  Is
there a way to put this in some elisp code that says, 'Do this for any
mode that supports it?"

When I tried to do it outside a hook, I got an error for fundamental-mode.

* RE: shell-script mode index
@ 2014-06-26 20:38         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-06-26 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Goldman, help-gnu-emacs

> When I tried to do it outside a hook, I got an error for fundamental-mode.

Wrap the calls to `imenu*' in `ignore-errors'.

* Re: shell-script mode index
@ 2014-06-27 14:38           ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-06-27 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Ken Goldman

>> When I tried to do it outside a hook, I got an error for fundamental-mode.
>
> Wrap the calls to `imenu*' in `ignore-errors'.

I've been following this as I need an Imenu for latex-mode, but I don't
understand this. Could you give a code example please?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.91.1

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* RE: shell-script mode index
@ 2014-06-27 15:00             ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-06-27 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Ken Goldman

> >> When I tried to do it outside a hook, I got an error for
> >> fundamental-mode.
> >
> > Wrap the calls to `imenu*' in `ignore-errors'.
>
> I've been following this as I need an Imenu for latex-mode, but I don't
> understand this.  Could you give a code example please?

If you tell some mode to invoke `imenu' or `imenu-add-to-menubar' or
`imenu-add-menubar-index', and if that mode does not support
Imenu (e.g., it has no usable value for `imenu-generic-expression'),
then the function raises an error when it is invoked.

You can wrap any code in `ignore-errors' to have it just return nil
if it raises an error when evaluated:

(something-that-raises an error)                 ; raises an error
(ignore-errors (something-that-raises an error)) ; returns nil

If you have an older version of Emacs, which does not have
macro `ignore-errors', then use `condition-case' (this works in
all Emacs versions):

(condition-case nil
    (something-that-raises an error)
  (error nil)) ; Do nothing and return nil.

I do this, for instance, in `imenu+.el'
(http://www.emacswiki.org/ImenuMode#ImenuPlus):

(defun imenup-add-defs-to-menubar ()
  "Add \"Defs\" imenu entry to menu bar for current local keymap.
See `imenu' for more information."
  (interactive)
  (imenu-add-to-menubar "Defs"))

(add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (setq imenu-generic-expression  lisp-imenu-generic-expression)
            (condition-case nil (imenup-add-defs-to-menubar) (error nil))))

Here, there should be no need to wrap with `condition-case', since
`imenu-generic-expression' is defined (so Imenu is supported in Lisp
mode). But I do it anyway.

The point is that if you invoke some code that might raise an
error, you can inhibit raising an error by wrapping that code in
`ignore-errors'. That doesn't make the code magically "work"; it
just prevents it from raising an error.