all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* trouble setting fullscreen frame parameter
@ 2014-04-23 15:14 gottlieb
From: gottlieb @ 2014-04-23 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emacs 24.3     Gentoo (stable)

Starting with emacs -Q

(set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen 'fullheight)
returns nil but
  * no visible effect on the frame
  * (frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen) returns nil
  * (frame-parameters) includes ``(fullscreen)''

Restarting with emacs -Q

(modify-frame-parameters nil '( (fullscreen . fullheight)))
returns nil but again
  * no visible effect on the frame
  * (frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen) returns nil
  * (frame-parameters) includes ``(fullscreen)''

At any time (set-frame-parameter nil 'height 999) works fine.

How should I set fullscreen?

thanks,
allan

* Re: trouble setting fullscreen frame parameter
@ 2014-04-23 17:06 ` Les Harris
From: Les Harris @ 2014-04-23 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

gottlieb@nyu.edu writes:

> How should I set fullscreen?

Rather than mucking around with width/height try using fullboth.  Here
is the function I use to do this.  It works on at least *nix and Windows
platforms:

,----
| (when window-system
|   (defun lh/toggle-fullscreen ()
|     (interactive)
|     (set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen
|                          (if (frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen)
|                              nil
|                            'fullboth))))
`----

Hope it helps.

--
Do they only stand
By ignorance, is that their happy state,

* Re: trouble setting fullscreen frame parameter
@ 2014-04-27 18:05 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2014-04-27 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

gottlieb@nyu.edu writes:

> Emacs 24.3     Gentoo (stable)
>
> Starting with emacs -Q
>
> (set-frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen 'fullheight)
> returns nil but
>   * no visible effect on the frame
>   * (frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen) returns nil
>   * (frame-parameters) includes ``(fullscreen)''
>
> Restarting with emacs -Q
>
> (modify-frame-parameters nil '( (fullscreen . fullheight)))
> returns nil but again
>   * no visible effect on the frame
>   * (frame-parameter nil 'fullscreen) returns nil
>   * (frame-parameters) includes ``(fullscreen)''

FWIW, both recipes work well for me.  I tested a built of the emacs-24
branch and Emacs 24 from Debian testing.

It could be window manager dependent.  If not, I would consider it a bug
in your Emacs.

Michael.