all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* small emacs (94k in exe), why not java
@ 2014-03-18  1:14 vjp2.at
       [not found] ` <mailman.17419.1395139252.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: vjp2.at @ 2014-03-18  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have a small 94K version of emacs for devices where the full install isn't
needed. It even works in msdos generic (ie using terminal instead of
monitor). QUestion is, why hasn't someone compiled a java version of this?  I
have seen some stuff about an emacs in kava for the net.. but it doesn't seem
to work.. for most uses "on the road", the 94k version is fine

				    - = -
		    http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
  ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice.  Everything fully disclaimed.}---

* Re: small emacs (94k in exe), why not java
@ 2014-03-18 10:40 ` Alex Bennée
       [not found] ` <mailman.17419.1395139252.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alex Bennée @ 2014-03-18 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vjp2.at; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com writes:

> I have a small 94K version of emacs for devices where the full install isn't
> needed. It even works in msdos generic (ie using terminal instead of
> monitor). QUestion is, why hasn't someone compiled a java version of this?  I
> have seen some stuff about an emacs in kava for the net.. but it doesn't seem
> to work.. for most uses "on the road", the 94k version is fine

I'm not sure I follow. Emacs is written in C so you can't just
re-compile it for Java.

OTOH if what you are looking for is a lightweight Emacs-a-like for
embedded devices you could look at Zile
(http://www.gnu.org/software/zile/) which I've installed on a number of
embedded platforms as an adjunct to vi.

--
Alex Bennée

@ 2014-03-19  0:16   ` vjp2.at
From: vjp2.at @ 2014-03-19  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

zmacs looks cool.. is there a java version I can use on linux and
windows public/kiosk terminals?
much obliged

				    - = -