all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* nqemacs freezes
@ 2005-03-05  9:24 Gnooby
From: Gnooby @ 2005-03-05  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I just just started examining the Windows-version of the new Emacs
(the newest binary version I could find):
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/nqmacs/emacs-21.3.50.1-20050130c-w32.zip?download
on Windows 2000.

1. I clicked the 'print' button on the toolbar.  As my printer is not
   set up, Emacs freezes and the only way to shut it down is via the
   Taskmanager

2. I click on 'Tools -> Display calendar'.  Then I right-lick into the
   calendar window.  But instead of choosing an entry from the context
   menu, I left-click in the upper window.  That disables the toolbar
   menu.  i.e.: I cannot click the toolbar menu anymore (resp.: it
   doesn't respond)

* Re: nqemacs freezes
@ 2005-03-06  6:09 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2005-03-06  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I cannot reproduce these problems on my build of CVS Emacs on Windows
2000. The nqmacs build is rather old -- 01/30/2005 -- so maybe these
problems have already been fixed.

> I just just started examining the Windows-version of the new Emacs
> (the newest binary version I could find):
> nqmacs/emacs-21.3.50.1-20050130c-w32.zip
> on Windows 2000.
>
> 1. I clicked the 'print' button on the toolbar.  As my printer is not
>    set up, Emacs freezes and the only way to shut it down is via the
>    Taskmanager
>
> 2. I click on 'Tools -> Display calendar'.  Then I right-lick into the
>    calendar window.  But instead of choosing an entry from the context
>    menu, I left-click in the upper window.  That disables the toolbar
>    menu.  i.e.: I cannot click the toolbar menu anymore (resp.: it
>    doesn't respond)

* Re: nqemacs freezes
@ 2005-03-06  6:50   ` Gnooby
From: Gnooby @ 2005-03-06  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Chong Yidong wrote:
>The nqmacs build is rather old -- 01/30/2005 -- so maybe these
>problems have already been fixed.

Please describe your criterions for 'old', regarding this:

>> (the newest binary version I could find):
>> nqmacs/emacs-21.3.50.1-20050130c-w32.zip

  http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/#Stable
  Latest stable release:  21.4 (Feb 6, 2005)

   ;-)

However, it's the latest binary release I could find.  I'm somehow
reluctant to install "Cygwin" in order to be able to edit "Textfiles"
(yes, I know: "my bad")

Please don't get me wrong; I'd gracefully appreciate any pointers to a
newer (read: working) binary version for Windows.  I'm keen on the "New
Kid from the Block".  The first impression wasn't too overwhelming,
though.

Have a nice day

* Re: nqemacs freezes
@ 2005-03-06 13:38     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2005-03-06 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >The nqmacs build is rather old -- 01/30/2005 -- so maybe these
> >problems have already been fixed.
>
> Please describe your criterions for 'old', regarding this:
>
> >> nqmacs/emacs-21.3.50.1-20050130c-w32.zip
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/#Stable
>   Latest stable release:  21.4 (Feb 6, 2005)
> Please don't get me wrong; I'd gracefully appreciate any pointers to a
> newer (read: working) binary version for Windows.  I'm keen on the "New
> Kid from the Block".  The first impression wasn't too overwhelming,
> though.

I hope you know that Nqmacs is simply a build of the Emacs CVS trunk,
i.e. the code that will be released as Emacs 22.1 once the bugs are
ironed out. Since bugs are fixed in the CVS trunk every day, yes, a
build more than a month old is fairly "old". Comparing it to the last
stable release of Emacs is like comparing apples and oranges.

If you want a newer Emacs and are not afraid to use unreleased code
(and judging by your use of Nqmacs you aren't), the easiest way is to
build it yourself. You don't need Cygwin, either. One site that may be
useful is

http://www.student.lu.se/~tps95lbn/Emacs/EmacsSetupUtilities.html

* Re: nqemacs freezes
@ 2005-03-06 14:44       ` Gnooby
From: Gnooby @ 2005-03-06 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Chong Yidong wrote:

> I hope you know that Nqmacs is simply a build of the Emacs CVS trunk,
> i.e. the code that will be released as Emacs 22.1 once the bugs are
> ironed out.

Oh, I thought 21.3.50 was some kind of pre-21.4 thing.  Whatever that
implies.

> If you want a newer Emacs and are not afraid to use unreleased code
> (and judging by your use of Nqmacs you aren't)

True.  I heard so much things about 21.4 being so much better that I
wanted to give it a try.  No hurry here, though.  There are enough
editors to fall back to <esc>:wq

> One site that may be useful is
>
> http://www.student.lu.se/~tps95lbn/Emacs/EmacsSetupUtilities.html

Cool.  Thank you.

* Re: nqemacs freezes
@ 2005-03-06 17:13         ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2005-03-06 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> True.  I heard so much things about 21.4 being so much better that I
> wanted to give it a try.  No hurry here, though.  There are enough
> editors to fall back to <esc>:wq

Emacs 21.4 was a bugfix release containing only one line changed from
Emacs 21.3. The upcoming release, which will have many new features,
will be Emacs 22.1.