all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using ffap to open paths relative to a different directory
@ 2013-12-06 20:53 Evan Driscoll
From: Evan Driscoll @ 2013-12-06 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At my place of work, for our C/C++ projects we have a directory
structure such as:

  src
   +--- dir1
   |      +---- subdir1
   |               +---- library.h
   +--- dir2
          +---- prog.c

where source and headers are in the same directory (though that
doesn't really matter for this question).

We "always" provide full include paths relative to src/, so for
example if src/dir2/prog.c needs to include library.h, it will say

   #include "dir1/subdir1/library.h"

and then the files will be compiled with src/ in the include paths.

The problem is that ffap doesn't work on these paths, presumably
because it looks for dir1/subdir1/library.h relative to src/dir2 (the
location of the file that contains that line). Is there a way I can
configure it with a set of directories (really even a single directory
would be sufficient) to get it to work nicely in our environment? Or
an alternative to ffap that will do so?

Thanks,
Evan

* Re: Using ffap to open paths relative to a different directory
@ 2013-12-07 14:55 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2013-12-07 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 12/6/13 1:53 PM, Evan Driscoll wrote:
> At my place of work, for our C/C++ projects we have a directory
> structure such as:
>
>    src
>     +--- dir1
>     |      +---- subdir1
>     |               +---- library.h
>     +--- dir2
>            +---- prog.c
>
> where source and headers are in the same directory (though that
> doesn't really matter for this question).
>

> We "always" provide full include paths relative to src/, so for
> example if src/dir2/prog.c needs to include library.h, it will say
>
>     #include "dir1/subdir1/library.h"
>
> and then the files will be compiled with src/ in the include paths.
>

> The problem is that ffap doesn't work on these paths, presumably
> because it looks for dir1/subdir1/library.h relative to src/dir2 (the
> location of the file that contains that line). Is there a way I can
> configure it with a set of directories (really even a single directory
> would be sufficient) to get it to work nicely in our environment? Or
> an alternative to ffap that will do so?

Try adding the absolute path to src, to ffap-c-path.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA