Eli Zaretskii replied with a concern: >> +;; It's the default mail mode, so it seems OK to use its features. >> +(autoload 'message-bogus-recipient-p "message") >> +(autoload 'message-make-address "message") >> +(defvar message-send-mail-function) >> +(defvar message-sendmail-envelope-from) > > What if the user overrides that default, and uses a different mail > mode? To which I replied: > Then I guess that user will have some unused functions loaded, as well > as some variables defined that she has no use for? I was basically just > cargo-culting the existing code. > > Existing code in emacsbug.el has > > ;; It's the default mail mode, so it seems OK to use its features. > (autoload 'message-bogus-recipient-p "message") > (defvar message-send-mail-function) > > I just added one more function and one more variable, and moved the > whole bunch, including comment, earlier in the file, because I used > those functions earlier in the file and thought it logical to place the > definitions before the uses. > > Autoload of one function causes the entire file to be loaded, does it > not? So my additions are more for documentation purposes than any > actual functional change. Does anyone have any further thoughts? I consider existing behaviour a bug, and I believe my patch fixes it in a relatively unobtrusive manner. message.el is already autoloaded today, and my patch does not change behaviour if the user has already told message.el how to determine envelope-from, or if the guessed address would be sane.