all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Speedbar and XML
@ 2002-10-30  2:09 Galen Boyer
From: Galen Boyer @ 2002-10-30  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has there been any integration of speedbar and XML?

If looked around on google and sourceforge and it looks like I can use
some form of the XSLT-process integration.

I've been using XAE which enables PSGML for editing.  Its very nice in
that it parses the DTD and then gives one context sensitive drop-downs
for insertion of appropriate tags, along with all the PSGML
functionality.  The one thing I can't seem to find is and easy way to
"browse" the code.  Speedbar would be perfect.

--
Galen deForest Boyer

* Re: Speedbar and XML
@ 2002-10-30 13:11 ` Eric Ludlam
From: Eric Ludlam @ 2002-10-30 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> Galen Boyer <galenboyer@hotpop.com> seems to think that:
>Has there been any integration of speedbar and XML?
>
>If looked around on google and sourceforge and it looks like I can use
>some form of the XSLT-process integration.
>
>I've been using XAE which enables PSGML for editing.  Its very nice in
>that it parses the DTD and then gives one context sensitive drop-downs
>for insertion of appropriate tags, along with all the PSGML
>functionality.  The one thing I can't seem to find is and easy way to
>"browse" the code.  Speedbar would be perfect.

Speedbar can be extended to display just about anything.  It is just a
matter of someone who knows the internal structures of the xml parsing
code hacking something together to display the data structures.

I can lend a hand to someone trying to figure out the speedbar api.

Eric

* Dired $ and Speedbar (WAS) Re: Speedbar and XML
@ 2002-10-31  3:54   ` Galen Boyer
From: Galen Boyer @ 2002-10-31  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30 Oct 2002, eludlam@mathworks.com wrote:
>>Has there been any integration of speedbar and XML?
>>
>>If looked around on google and sourceforge and it looks like I can use
>>some form of the XSLT-process integration.
>>
>>I've been using XAE which enables PSGML for editing.  Its very nice in
>>that it parses the DTD and then gives one context sensitive drop-downs
>>for insertion of appropriate tags, along with all the PSGML
>>functionality.  The one thing I can't seem to find is and easy way to
>>"browse" the code.  Speedbar would be perfect.
>
> Speedbar can be extended to display just about anything.  It is just a
> matter of someone who knows the internal structures of the xml parsing
> code hacking something together to display the data structures.
>
> I can lend a hand to someone trying to figure out the speedbar api.

Hi Eric,

I'm quite fond of the M-$ and $ functionality in dired.  Would it make
sense to allow for the same keystrokes within speedbar?  I can make it
happen with set-key ..., but I was wondering if the keystrokes were
similar enough that the modes should consider behaving the same.  (I'd
also ask the same question of the Gnus topic mode) I'm thinking of at
least three different ways for toggle the expandion and collapsing when
the of non-textual modes:

  1) Gnus -- [space] on a topic mode.
  2) Dired -- [M-$] as well as [$]
  3) Speedbar -- [+ -]

There are also inconsistencies.  Dired seems the most flexible.  It
allows for the expansion and collapsing of either the whole buffer, or
the particular hierarchy node point is on.  Gnus and Speedbar allow for
expansion of the particular hierarchy node point is on, only, but Gnus
also allows for expansion of the "hidden" entities with C-u space.
Dired-x does this with M-o.  I think speedbar has a variable for setting
this, but no keystroke for toggling?  It seems it would make sense that
all expand and collapse functionality used the same keystrokes.  It also
would be nice if they all had analogous functionality, but the latter is
code that would have to be written, while the former seems more of a
philosophical question.

--
Galen deForest Boyer

* Re: Dired $ and Speedbar (WAS) Re: Speedbar and XML
@ 2002-10-31 13:51     ` Eric Ludlam
From: Eric Ludlam @ 2002-10-31 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> Galen Boyer <galenboyer@hotpop.com> seems to think that:
>>>Has there been any integration of speedbar and XML?
>>>
>>>If looked around on google and sourceforge and it looks like I can use
>>>some form of the XSLT-process integration.
>>>
>>>I've been using XAE which enables PSGML for editing.  Its very nice in
>>>that it parses the DTD and then gives one context sensitive drop-downs
>>>for insertion of appropriate tags, along with all the PSGML
>>>functionality.  The one thing I can't seem to find is and easy way to
>>>"browse" the code.  Speedbar would be perfect.
>>
>> Speedbar can be extended to display just about anything.  It is just a
>> matter of someone who knows the internal structures of the xml parsing
>> code hacking something together to display the data structures.
>>
>> I can lend a hand to someone trying to figure out the speedbar api.
>
>Hi Eric,
>
>I'm quite fond of the M-$ and $ functionality in dired.  Would it make
>sense to allow for the same keystrokes within speedbar?  I can make it
>happen with set-key ..., but I was wondering if the keystrokes were
>similar enough that the modes should consider behaving the same.  (I'd
>also ask the same question of the Gnus topic mode) I'm thinking of at
>least three different ways for toggle the expandion and collapsing when
>the of non-textual modes:
>
>  1) Gnus -- [space] on a topic mode.
>  2) Dired -- [M-$] as well as [$]
>  3) Speedbar -- [+ -]
>
>There are also inconsistencies.  Dired seems the most flexible.  It
>allows for the expansion and collapsing of either the whole buffer, or
>the particular hierarchy node point is on.  Gnus and Speedbar allow for
>expansion of the particular hierarchy node point is on, only, but Gnus
>also allows for expansion of the "hidden" entities with C-u space.
>Dired-x does this with M-o.  I think speedbar has a variable for setting
>this, but no keystroke for toggling?  It seems it would make sense that
>all expand and collapse functionality used the same keystrokes.  It also
>would be nice if they all had analogous functionality, but the latter is
>code that would have to be written, while the former seems more of a
>philosophical question.

Dired and speedbar's display mechanism are quite different.

As it turns out, newer versions speedbar can already use " " to toggle
expansion of a line.  I don't recall what version that showed up in.

Eric

* Re: Dired $ and Speedbar (WAS) Re: Speedbar and XML
@ 2002-11-01  2:33       ` Galen Boyer
From: Galen Boyer @ 2002-11-01  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31 Oct 2002, eludlam@mathworks.com wrote:

>>> Speedbar can be extended to display just about anything.  It is just
>>> a matter of someone who knows the internal structures of the xml
>>> parsing code hacking something together to display the data
>>> structures.
>>>
>>> I can lend a hand to someone trying to figure out the speedbar api.
>>
>>Hi Eric,
>>
>>I'm quite fond of the M-$ and $ functionality in dired.  Would it make
>>sense to allow for the same keystrokes within speedbar?  I can make it
>>happen with set-key ..., but I was wondering if the keystrokes were
>>similar enough that the modes should consider behaving the same.  (I'd
>>also ask the same question of the Gnus topic mode) I'm thinking of at
>>least three different ways for toggle the expandion and collapsing
>>when the of non-textual modes:
>>
>>  1) Gnus -- [space] on a topic mode.
>>  2) Dired -- [M-$] as well as [$]
>>  3) Speedbar -- [+ -]
>>
>>There are also inconsistencies.  Dired seems the most flexible.  It
>>allows for the expansion and collapsing of either the whole buffer, or
>>the particular hierarchy node point is on.  Gnus and Speedbar allow
>>for expansion of the particular hierarchy node point is on, only, but
>>Gnus also allows for expansion of the "hidden" entities with C-u
>>space.  Dired-x does this with M-o.  I think speedbar has a variable
>>for setting this, but no keystroke for toggling?  It seems it would
>>make sense that all expand and collapse functionality used the same
>>keystrokes.  It also would be nice if they all had analogous
>>functionality, but the latter is code that would have to be written,
>>while the former seems more of a philosophical question.
>
> Dired and speedbar's display mechanism are quite different.

I'm aware of that.  I thought something Emacs tried to accomplish was
make analogous operations be performed by the same keystrokes.  Like, in
dired `^' takes me up "one hierarchy level" while in Gnus it also takes
me up "one hierarchy level", but those levels are completely different
beasts.

This is why I thought that the expand/collapse functionality of
different modes might make sense to all use the same keystrokes.

> As it turns out, newer versions speedbar can already use " " to toggle
> expansion of a line.

Well, I'll be damned.  I didn't see it in C-h m.

Thanks.
--
Galen deForest Boyer