all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Which keyboard hotkey syntax should we use?
@ 2013-05-29 23:07 Andrew Pennebaker
From: Andrew Pennebaker @ 2013-05-29 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help

There's (kbd "...") and [...]. Could we deprecate one of these in favor of
the other for simplicity?

--
Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker
www.yellosoft.us

* Re: Which keyboard hotkey syntax should we use?
@ 2013-05-30  5:14 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.681.1369925415.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2013-05-30  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 5/29/13 5:07 PM, Andrew Pennebaker wrote:
> There's (kbd "...") and [...]. Could we deprecate one of these in favor of
> the other for simplicity?

You should use the syntax that you understand.

I generally prefer [...] and only occasionally resort to (kbd "...").  I like
having them both available.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: Which keyboard hotkey syntax should we use?
@ 2013-05-30 14:47 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found] ` <mailman.681.1369925415.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-05-30 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> There's (kbd "...") and [...]. Could we deprecate one of these in favor of
> the other for simplicity?

The [...] notation is the internal one, so it's probably not going away
any time soon.  We could try and deprecate the `kbd' syntax, but I think
most people would rather deprecate the [...] syntax instead ;-)

@ 2013-05-30 15:31   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-05-30 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> There's (kbd "...") and [...]. Could we deprecate one of these in
>> favor of the other for simplicity?
>
> The [...] notation is the internal one, so it's probably not going
> away any time soon.  We could try and deprecate the `kbd' syntax,
> but I think most people would rather deprecate the [...] syntax
> instead ;-)

I heard that one is more "portable" than the other. If [...] is used
under the hood, I suppose that is the one, although I don't remember
the details of the argument.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573