all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to paste from Cygwin Emacs to Windows app using keyboard?
@ 2013-04-22 23:01 Alexandre Oberlin
From: Alexandre Oberlin @ 2013-04-22 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I use Cygwin under Windows 7. I managed to paste from Windows into Emacs
by adding
'"shift insert": paste-from-clipboard'
to my .inputrc file.

However I still cannot paste from Emacs into a Windows application unless
I use the mouse to select in Emacs.

I have played with x-select-enable-clipboard, interprogram-paste-function
etc. with no avail. I do not run X on Cygwin.

Any suggestion?

Alexandre

--
Alexandre Oberlin
http://www.migo.info

* Re: How to paste from Cygwin Emacs to Windows app using keyboard?
@ 2013-04-23 17:43 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2013-04-23 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Die Mon Apr 22 2013 18:01:55 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time) Alexandre
Oberlin <email_through@migo.info> scripsit:

> Hi all,
>
> I use Cygwin under Windows 7. I managed to paste from Windows into Emacs
> by adding
> '"shift insert": paste-from-clipboard'
> to my .inputrc file.
>
> However I still cannot paste from Emacs into a Windows application
> unless I use the mouse to select in Emacs.
>
> I have played with x-select-enable-clipboard,
> interprogram-paste-function etc. with no avail. I do not run X on Cygwin.
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Alexandre

What happens if within emacs (assuming default bindings) you do:

C-space or C-@ at beginning of region you want to select
M-w at end

and then C-v (or mouse) within W32 app?

Btw, you can get most of the important emacs keybindings in w32 apps
with Xkeymacs and in Mozilla products with keysnail. These can help
reduce mousing around in w32.

Ed

* Re: How to paste from Cygwin Emacs to Windows app using keyboard?
@ 2013-04-23 18:03 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2013-04-23 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Die Mon Apr 22 2013 18:01:55 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time) Alexandre
Oberlin <email_through@migo.info> scripsit:

> Hi all,
>
> I use Cygwin under Windows 7. I managed to paste from Windows into Emacs
> by adding
> '"shift insert": paste-from-clipboard'
> to my .inputrc file.
>
> However I still cannot paste from Emacs into a Windows application
> unless I use the mouse to select in Emacs.
>
> I have played with x-select-enable-clipboard,
> interprogram-paste-function etc. with no avail. I do not run X on Cygwin.
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Alexandre

Also, since you mentioned it, try checking whether these are set (they
may be hard-wired during the build since they don't seem to be
customizable):

"
interprogram-cut-function is a variable defined in `simple.el'.
Its value is x-select-text

interprogram-paste-function is a variable defined in `simple.el'.
Its value is x-get-selection-value

"

I don't know if they are appropriate when using Cygwin but they work on
the w32 native build at least on ver. 23.3

Ed

* Re: How to paste from Cygwin Emacs to Windows app using keyboard?
@ 2013-04-26 20:55   ` Alexandre Oberlin
From: Alexandre Oberlin @ 2013-04-26 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thank you Ed,

I did not see your answer last time when I checked the newsgroup while
Windows. I am presently working in Linux and will check your suggestions
as soon as I go back to Windows.

Cheers,

Alexandre

   I did not nOn Tue, 23 Apr 2013 20:03:47 +0200, B. T. Raven

--

@ 2013-04-28 16:47   ` Alexandre Oberlin
From: Alexandre Oberlin @ 2013-04-28 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Ed, hi all,

I checked the variables in cygwin:
> interprogram-cut-function is a variable defined in `simple.el'.
> Its value is x-select-text
nil, with x-select-text undefined

> interprogram-paste-function is a variable defined in `simple.el'.
> Its value is x-get-selection-value
nil, with x-get-selection-value undefined

Alexandre

* Re: How to paste from Cygwin Emacs to Windows app using keyboard?
@ 2013-04-28 16:59   ` Alexandre Oberlin
From: Alexandre Oberlin @ 2013-04-28 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 19:43:53 +0200, B. T. Raven <btraven@nihilo.net> wrote:
> What happens if within emacs (assuming default bindings) you do:
>
> C-space or C-@ at beginning of region you want to select
> M-w at end and then C-v (or mouse) within W32 app?
Previous contents are pasted (contents of clipboard remain unchanged).

> Btw, you can get most of the important emacs keybindings in w32 apps
> with Xkeymacs and in Mozilla products with keysnail. These can help
> reduce mousing around in w32.
This looks very interesting, thanks for the tip!

Alexandre

--

@ 2013-05-04 14:46 ` Michael Jahn
From: Michael Jahn @ 2013-05-04 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

,----
;; Simple global minor mode providing integration of emacs running under cygwin
;; in terminal mode with the windows clipboard.
`----
https://github.com/mld75/cygwin-terminal-clipboard/blob/master/cygwin-terminal-clipboard.el

Michael