all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* (I lost the answer) How to run vi,Lynx,etc within emacs window?
@ 2013-03-29  2:00 David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2013-03-29  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I asked this question some years ago, and thought
I saved the answer, but I can't find it.

There was some mode I could run, which would let me
run a cursor-jumping program like vi or lynx from
within emacs.  But I don't remember what it was,
nor can I find it in my notes.

And google: I don't even know what to search for.

So I'm asking you.

THANKS!

David

* Re: (I lost the answer) How to run vi,Lynx,etc within emacs window?
@ 2013-03-29  6:02 ` Teemu Likonen
       [not found] ` <mailman.23019.1364537128.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2013-03-29  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: David Combs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

David Combs [2013-03-28 22:00:35 -0400] wrote:

> There was some mode I could run, which would let me run a
> cursor-jumping program like vi or lynx from within emacs.

Those programs run in terminal so let's start one:

    M-x term

* Re: (I lost the answer) How to run vi,Lynx,etc within emacs window?
@ 2013-03-29  6:05 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.23019.1364537128.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-03-29  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
> Date: 28 Mar 2013 22:00:35 -0400
>
> There was some mode I could run, which would let me
> run a cursor-jumping program like vi or lynx from
> within emacs.  But I don't remember what it was,
> nor can I find it in my notes.

"M-x term", perhaps?

@ 2013-03-31 21:19   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2013-03-31 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.23019.1364537128.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Eli Zaretskii  <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
>> Date: 28 Mar 2013 22:00:35 -0400
>>
>> There was some mode I could run, which would let me
>> run a cursor-jumping program like vi or lynx from
>> within emacs.  But I don't remember what it was,
>> nor can I find it in my notes.
>
>"M-x term", perhaps?

Yes, thanks to you both!

Once I saw the M-x term, I searched my notes for "x term", and
discovered this from that years-ago forgoten post:

| M-x term provides a more sophisticated shell terminal that does support
| advanced I/O. However, it can be a bit slower than M-x shell and has
| some slightly different key bindings, such as character mode an dline
| mode. This is the shell to use if you wanted to run something like lynx
| or mutt etc.

Thanks again!

David