all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Dired command for a GUI browser?
@ 2013-03-21 12:11 Haines Brown
       [not found] ` <kif7on$ctj$1@news.sap-ag.de>
From: Haines Brown @ 2013-03-21 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I daily have to run the "! w3m" command on an .html file selected in
dired. However these .html files are from a particular source, and their
organization makes the w3m display very difficult to read. I am running
Emacs under Debian Squeeze.

I would like to run a Firefox or Conkeror command on those files, but
when I try "! firefox", Firebox starts but reports page not found. As
best I can make out none of the emacs or dired extensions address this
problem.

Haines Brown

* Re: Dired command for a GUI browser?
@ 2013-03-21 13:58 ` J G Miller
       [not found] ` <kif7on$ctj$1@news.sap-ag.de>
From: J G Miller @ 2013-03-21 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday, March 21st, 2013, at 08:11:39h -0400, Haines Brown complained:

> I daily have to run the "! w3m" command on an .html file selected in
> dired. However these .html files are from a particular source, and their
> organization makes the w3m display very difficult to read. I am running
> Emacs under Debian Squeeze.
>
> I would like to run a Firefox or Conkeror command on those files, but
> when I try "! firefox", Firebox starts but reports page not found. As
> best I can make out none of the emacs or dired extensions address this
> problem.

More than likely because doing the command manually done as

     firefox some_file.html

does not work if the command is launched from a directory
other than where the file is located.

Strangely enough if I used dired to navigate to a directory with an
.html file and then invoke firefox on the html file it does actually
show the html file in a new window of the browser.

Also remember that quite often the firefox binary is not called directly
but "firefox" invokes a shell script first which may set various things
before actually calling the binary which may well be located not under
bin but under lib in /usr/lib/firefox.  (All this depends on the
GNU/Linux distribution being used.)

My suggestion would be to have a look at the web page at

<http://sachachua.COM/blog/2008/09/emacs-w3m-open-pages-in-external-browsers/>

to either invoke firefox from w3m or you will have to dig deeper into
the dired lisp to ensure that the full path to the file is passed to
firefox preferably with file:// prepended.

@ 2013-03-21 19:04   ` Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2013-03-21 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Klaus, just what I needed. Thanks!

My searches did not happen to stumble on that function. It does not
start a browser, but does display html files much better for me than
w3m. I'll be using it.

Haines