all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Ctrl-SPC suspends emacs under Cygwin
@ 2003-04-11  1:31 Khalid Sheta
From: Khalid Sheta @ 2003-04-11  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just installed emacs 21.2.1 that comes with Cygwin on my WIN 2000 machine.
Invoking emacs where it pops in its own X window (I have exceed running) works
fine with full emacs bells and wistles.
But, I want emacs -nw to work in the current window:

  - If I do: emacs -nw in the current cygwin consol window (TERM= cygwin)
    The C-c char ALWAYS maps to  keyboard-quit, i.e. equivalent to C-g
  - If I fire an xterm window, everything works perfect EXCEPT that a
    Ctrl-SPC suspends emacs, i.e. it is equivalent to susupend-emacs
    instead of setting the mark EVEN if I explicitly set it inside emacs
    indicating that bash (the cygwin shell) is capturing the Ctrl-spc before
    emacs.

The same behavior with xterm is exhibited with rxvt of Cygwin.

Any help or pointers are appreciated.

Thanx,
	--Khalid

* Re: Ctrl-SPC suspends emacs under Cygwin
@ 2003-04-12 19:21 ` maierh
From: maierh @ 2003-04-12 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Khalid Sheta <sheta@lucent.com> writes:

> Just installed emacs 21.2.1 that comes with Cygwin on my WIN 2000 machine.
> Invoking emacs where it pops in its own X window (I have exceed
> running) works fine with full emacs bells and wistles.
> But, I want emacs -nw to work in the current window:
>
>   - If I do: emacs -nw in the current cygwin consol window (TERM= cygwin)
>     The C-c char ALWAYS maps to  keyboard-quit, i.e. equivalent to C-g
>   - If I fire an xterm window, everything works perfect EXCEPT that a
>     Ctrl-SPC suspends emacs, i.e. it is equivalent to susupend-emacs
>     instead of setting the mark EVEN if I explicitly set it inside emacs
>     indicating that bash (the cygwin shell) is capturing the Ctrl-spc before
>     emacs.
>
> The same behavior with xterm is exhibited with rxvt of Cygwin.
>
> Any help or pointers are appreciated.

As far as I know this is still not resolved. You might be look too in
the archives of cygwin@cygwin.com. One solution was to set CYGWIN to
"binmode ntsec tty". I tried it some months ago and there it worked
with other side effects but now it looks it won't work.

Harald

* Re: Ctrl-SPC suspends emacs under Cygwin
@ 2003-11-15 21:16 ` Unknown
From: Unknown @ 2003-11-15 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've spent the day trying to rebind c-x c-c to try to fix this rather
severe problem.
Amazing...
They broke emacs so you can't exit it in cygwin anymore...unless you
type:
save-buffers-kill-emacs
I wonder if this is somebody's subliminal way to keep PC users from
trying to use all the nice unix tools.
c-c seems to have been bound to c-g.
-Steve