all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* LaTeX/Emacs problem
@ 2013-01-06 21:52 Fred Krogh
       [not found] ` <mailman.16824.1357512118.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Fred Krogh @ 2013-01-06 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

A long time ago when I ran latex from inside emacs, if there were errors
it would point me to the place with the error (maybe after <cntrl c
`>?). For the last few years, when there was an error, I had to type
<cntrl c `> that gave me a line number, I then had to kill that window
to get back to my latex buffer, go to that line and fix the problem. Now
another step backwards. After <cntrl c `> all I get now is " Error
occurred after last TeX file closed". The only choice at this point
seems to be running latex in a separate terminal window. I'd be
interested if anyone else is having these sorts of problems, suggestions
for tracking down the problem, or if you have it working perhaps your
.emacs.el file?  I'm running TeXLive on a gentoo linux system.  Many thanks.

* Re: LaTeX/Emacs problem
@ 2013-01-06 22:41 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.16824.1357512118.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-01-06 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fred Krogh; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.01.2013 um 22:52 schrieb Fred Krogh:

> I'm running TeXLive on a gentoo linux system.

You might also like to check the texmf.cnf file. Could be that TeX is set up incorrectly. Look for file_line_error_style! And better correct the value in it's local copy, containing only the local changes from the defaults. (Because otherwise your change might be removed by a TeX update.)

--
Greetings

  Pete

These are my principles and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
				- Groucho Marx

* Re: LaTeX/Emacs problem
       [not found] ` <mailman.16824.1357512118.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-01-06 23:15   ` Fred Krogh
From: Fred Krogh @ 2013-01-06 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 01/06/2013 02:41 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 06.01.2013 um 22:52 schrieb Fred Krogh:
>
>> I'm running TeXLive on a gentoo linux system.
>
> You might also like to check the texmf.cnf file. Could be that TeX is set up incorrectly. Look for file_line_error_style! And better correct the value in it's local copy, containing only the local changes from the defaults. (Because otherwise your change might be removed by a TeX update.)
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete
>
> These are my principles and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
> 				- Groucho Marx

Thanks, this looked like a really good suggestion.  So I found
/etc/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf and I had no /etc/texmf.cnf.  Following
instructions I created the file /etc/texmf.cnf and put the following
into it.

% Control file:line:error style messages.
file_line_error_style = t

since the /etc/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf had that line with f where I put a
t at the end of the line.  I expected this to work, but it behaves the
same way.  This being gentoo, I looked for the package this file belongs
to, "equery b /etc/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf", and no package seems to own
the file.  (I was going to reinstall whatever package claimed the file.)
  On a (second) guess I reinstalled auctex, and that changed the time
stamp on the file even though that file is not listed as belonging to
auctex??

So I am very open to further suggestions.

* Re: LaTeX/Emacs problem
@ 2013-01-07  0:20     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-01-07  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fred Krogh; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.01.2013 um 00:15 schrieb Fred Krogh:

> So I am very open to further suggestions.

Have you tried to update all formats after the change in texmf.cnf? Maybe this is the final necessary step…

--
Greetings

  Pete

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
			– origin unknown

* Re: LaTeX/Emacs problem
@ 2013-01-07  5:58       ` Fred Krogh
From: Fred Krogh @ 2013-01-07  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 01/06/2013 04:20 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 07.01.2013 um 00:15 schrieb Fred Krogh:
>
>> So I am very open to further suggestions.
> Have you tried to update all formats after the change in texmf.cnf? Maybe this is the final necessary step…

I'm not sure what is suggested here.  I found /usr/sbin/texmf-update and
ran it, but that fixed nothing.   I tried rehash and format running
texconfig.  The former didn't help, and the latter said it was no longer
supported.  Thanks for trying.  Am I missing what was suggested?

* Re: LaTeX/Emacs problem
@ 2013-01-07  6:11       ` Fred Krogh
From: Fred Krogh @ 2013-01-07  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Another note.  As a result of scanning for something else, I tried this:
fc-cache  -rf&& mkfontscale && mkfontdir
That too had no effect.

* Re: LaTeX/Emacs problem
@ 2013-01-07  6:15       ` Fred Krogh
From: Fred Krogh @ 2013-01-07  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sorry I keep coming across things to try.  I hope this is the last one.
fmtutil-sys --all

I suspect this is what was suggested in the first place.  I'm giving up
for now.

* Re: LaTeX/Emacs problem
@ 2013-01-07  7:48         ` Pierre Lorenzon
       [not found]         ` <mailman.16844.1357545139.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pierre Lorenzon @ 2013-01-07  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fkrogh; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I encountered similar problems but not everytime ! With certain
files errors cannot be detected and with other ones not. It
sometimes depent on the place LaTeX is started from i.e. from
the master file or not. In fact I have not completely
identified the circumstances for which error finding
fail. Anyway I suspect that your problem is an auctex problem
and that you'd try to post on the auctex mailing list. If you
might determine more precisely when error finding fails it
might maybey help to determine where this bad behavior comes
from.

Regards

Pierre

From: Fred Krogh <fkrogh@mathalacarte.com>
Subject: Re: LaTeX/Emacs problem
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 22:15:06 -0800

> Sorry I keep coming across things to try.  I hope this is the
> last one.
> fmtutil-sys --all
>
> I suspect this is what was suggested in the first place.  I'm
> giving up for now.

* Re: LaTeX/Emacs problem
@ 2013-01-07 10:09         ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]         ` <mailman.16844.1357545139.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-01-07 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fkrogh; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.01.2013 um 07:15 schrieb Fred Krogh:

> I hope this is the last one. fmtutil-sys --all

"sudo fmtutil-sys --refresh" is the command I was thinking of…

The command fmtutil-sys is to be used with super-user privileges (for private use the command fmtutil exists). Its option "--all" will only then lead to actions when some file that is "included" by a FMT is newer than the FMT file. This means that *not* all FMT files will be updated. Texmf.cnf is not considered  as such a file.

If this leads to the same failures as before, you might consider launching GNU Emacs with -Q, i.e. without customisation. Then load AUCTeX manually – from the *scratch* buffer with its Emacs Lisp interpreter – and then load a faulty (La)TeX file and compile it. If in this case all works as it should, then something in your customisation could be faulty.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Government is actually the worst failure of civilized man. There has never been a really good one, and even those that are most tolerable are arbitrary, cruel, grasping and unintelligent.
				– H. L. Mencken

* Re: LaTeX/Emacs problem
       [not found]         ` <mailman.16844.1357545139.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-01-07 16:25           ` Fred Krogh
       [not found]           ` <mailman.16860.1357575910.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Fred Krogh @ 2013-01-07 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Lorenzon, Peter_Dyballa; +Cc: oberdiek, help-gnu-emacs

On 01/06/2013 11:48 PM, Pierre Lorenzon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I encountered similar problems but not everytime ! With certain
> files errors cannot be detected and with other ones not. It
> sometimes depent on the place LaTeX is started from i.e. from
> the master file or not. In fact I have not completely
> identified the circumstances for which error finding
> fail. Anyway I suspect that your problem is an auctex problem
> and that you'd try to post on the auctex mailing list. If you
> might determine more precisely when error finding fails it
> might maybey help to determine where this bad behavior comes
> from.

This sounds like what I'm seeing now.

First of all, all the commands I've entered dealing with things like
fmtutil-sys were run as root.

I have one short file that worked when run as root, but not as my usual
user.  A longer tex file never works.

I uninstalled auctex, and things worked as one might expect without
auctex.  The program tended to run to completion with an error message.
(I was simply inserting a command like \xxx.)

I then reinstalled auctex, and the short tex file worked very nicely
with my usual user, and as root.  The long tex file (the kind I care
about) worked with neither.

More sleuthing, and the long tex file works if I comment out
\usepackage{hyperref}

So that is looking like the real culprit.  Heiko Oberdiek is the
maintainer of hyperref and if this email should reach him perhaps he
will have some ideas.  For his information I've added my original message.
=======

@ 2013-01-07 17:27             ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-01-07 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fred Krogh; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org list

Am 07.01.2013 um 17:25 schrieb Fred Krogh:

> More sleuthing, and the long tex file works if I comment out
> \usepackage{hyperref}

You can use \listfiles in the preamble, or as first line of the file, to create an exact list of all files that were used by LaTeX. The LOG file will also record which version of the latex binaries you are using. Then compare your output with that of root!

--
Greetings

  Pete

$ sumascii BILL GATES
  B   I   L   L   G   A   T   E   S
 66+ 73+ 76+ 76+ 71+ 65+ 84+ 69+ 83 = 663

 and add 3 because he's Bill Gates the third.

* Re: LaTeX/Emacs problem
       [not found]           ` <mailman.16860.1357575910.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-01-10 22:20             ` Fred Krogh
From: Fred Krogh @ 2013-01-10 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 01/07/2013 08:25 AM, Fred Krogh wrote:
> On 01/06/2013 11:48 PM, Pierre Lorenzon wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I encountered similar problems but not everytime ! With certain
>> files errors cannot be detected and with other ones not. It
>> sometimes depent on the place LaTeX is started from i.e. from
>> the master file or not. In fact I have not completely
>> identified the circumstances for which error finding
>> fail. Anyway I suspect that your problem is an auctex problem
>> and that you'd try to post on the auctex mailing list. If you
>> might determine more precisely when error finding fails it
>> might maybey help to determine where this bad behavior comes
>> from.
>
> This sounds like what I'm seeing now.
>
> First of all, all the commands I've entered dealing with things like
> fmtutil-sys were run as root.
>
> I have one short file that worked when run as root, but not as my usual
> user.  A longer tex file never works.
>
> I uninstalled auctex, and things worked as one might expect without
> auctex.  The program tended to run to completion with an error message.
> (I was simply inserting a command like \xxx.)
>
> I then reinstalled auctex, and the short tex file worked very nicely
> with my usual user, and as root.  The long tex file (the kind I care
> about) worked with neither.
>
> More sleuthing, and the long tex file works if I comment out
> \usepackage{hyperref}
>
> So that is looking like the real culprit.  Heiko Oberdiek is the
> maintainer of hyperref and if this email should reach him perhaps he
> will have some ideas.  For his information I've added my original message.
> =======
> A long time ago when I ran latex from inside emacs, if there were errors
> it would point me to the place with the error (maybe after <cntrl c
> `>?). For the last few years, when there was an error, I had to type
> <cntrl c `> that gave me a line number, I then had to kill that window
> to get back to my latex buffer, go to that line and fix the problem. Now
> another step backwards. After <cntrl c `> all I get now is " Error
> occurred after last TeX file closed". The only choice at this point
> seems to be running latex in a separate terminal window. I'd be
> interested if anyone else is having these sorts of problems, suggestions
> for tracking down the problem, or if you have it working perhaps your
> .emacs.el file?  I'm running TeXLive on a gentoo linux system.  Many
> thanks.

I have had a little correspondence with Heiko Oberdiek
(heiko.oberdiek@googlemail.com).  He is not an emacs user, but has said
"If you get an answer that suggests an improvement in hyperref, let
me know."  I guess if anything is going to happen with this issue, it is
up to someone who understands emacs well enough to illustrate the
problem without actually using emacs.  He would be willing to take a
look if the problem can be expressed in a way that does not involve
emacs.  Here is an example

\documentclass{article}
%\usepackage{hyperref}
\begin{document}
\Nothing to see here folks.
\end{document}

Run latex from inside emacs and this will flag the "\Nothing" and
position the cursor on that line.  Remove the % at the start of the
second line, delete the *TeX Help buffer, do the same, and you will get
"Error occured after last TeX file closed" and nothing else.

* Re: LaTeX/Emacs problem
@ 2013-01-10 23:13               ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-01-10 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fred Krogh; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 10.01.2013 um 23:20 schrieb Fred Krogh:

> Here is an example
>
> \documentclass{article}
> %\usepackage{hyperref}
> \begin{document}
> \Nothing to see here folks.
> \end{document}
>
> Run latex from inside emacs and this will flag the "\Nothing" and position the cursor on that line.  Remove the % at the start of the second line, delete the *TeX Help buffer, do the same, and you will get "Error occured after last TeX file closed" and nothing else.

Not using GNU Emacs I get in the console:

	This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.4-1.40.13 (TeX Live 2012)
	 restricted \write18 enabled.
	entering extended mode
	(./Krogh.tex
	LaTeX2e <2011/06/27>
	Babel <v3.8m> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang, nohyphenation, german-x-2012-05-30, ngerman-x-2012-05-30, ukenglish, usenglishmax, french, friulan, german, ngerman, swissgerman, romansh, loaded.
	(/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
	Document Class: article 2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX document class
	(/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo)) (./Krogh.aux)
	! Undefined control sequence.
	l.4 \Nothing
	             to see here folks.
	?
	! Emergency stop.
	l.4 \Nothing
	             to see here folks.
	!  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
	Transcript written on Krogh.log.

And this is the output from AUCTeX 11.86 from inside GNU Emacs 24.3.50:

	Running `LaTeX' on `Krogh' with ``pdflatex  -interaction=nonstopmode "\input" Krogh.tex''
	This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.4-1.40.13 (TeX Live 2012)
	 restricted \write18 enabled.
	entering extended mode
	LaTeX2e <2011/06/27>
	Babel <v3.8m> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang, nohyphenation, german-x-2012-05-30, ngerman-x-2012-05-30, ukenglish, usenglishmax, french, friulan, german, ngerman, swissgerman, romansh, loaded.
	(./Krogh.tex (/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
	Document Class: article 2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX document class
	(/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo)) (./Krogh.aux)
	! Undefined control sequence.
	l.4 \Nothing
	             to see here folks.
	[1{/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}] (./Krogh.aux) )
	(see the transcript file for additional information)</usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmr10.pfb>
	Output written on Krogh.pdf (1 page, 12041 bytes).
	Transcript written on Krogh.log.

	LaTeX exited abnormally with code 1 at Thu Jan 10 23:39:58

Quite similar behaviour. (I do need to update my hyphenations configuration! I'll never use Friulan or Rumansh!) When I then choose from AUCTeX's Commands menu the item "Next Error" it shows me that error and open a buffer with that contents:

	ERROR: Undefined control sequence.

	--- TeX said ---
	l.4 \Nothing
	             to see here folks.
	--- HELP ---
	TeX encountered an unknown command name. You probably misspelled the
	name. If this message occurs when a LaTeX command is being processed,
	the command is probably in the wrong place---for example, the error
	can be produced by an \item command that's not inside a list-making
	environment. The error can also be caused by a missing \documentclass
	command.

When I then remove the comment sign, save, and run LaTeX again, I get the same error. When I then choose the same command, AUCTeX asks me for the master file. When I give the correct answer, it opens *TeX Help* buffer with the same contents – and buries the buffer with the TeX file with an empty "TeX Live 2012" buffer. This latter effect certainly is not needed.

When I open an empty TeX file under the control of AUCTeX, it asks me for the master file. I show it the master file by pressing the RETURN key. I insert your example and get as buffer and file contents:

	\documentclass{article}
	%\usepackage{hyperref}
	\begin{document}
	\Nothing to see here folks.
	\end{document}

	%%% Local Variables:
	%%% TeX-master: t
	%%% End:

With the commented line the behaviour is as before: OK. With the uncommented line, the behaviour is as before: not OK!

This is a bug in AUCTeX. It's even two bugs: why does it ask me for the master file? The opened file in the buffer is *obviously* the master. To report it, choose "Report Bug" from the Preview menu!

Similar behaviour in GNU Emacs 24.2 launched with -Q. I consider reporting mine tomorrow. I'll have to read the documentation to be sure that it's not me who is buggy.

--
Greetings

  Pete

"Evolution"            o           __o                     _o _
          °\___o      /0~         -\<,              ^\___ /=\\_/-%
oo~_______ /\ /\______/ \_________O/ O_______________o===>-->O--o____

* Re: LaTeX/Emacs problem
@ 2013-01-11  4:24                 ` Pierre Lorenzon
From: Pierre Lorenzon @ 2013-01-11  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter_Dyballa; +Cc: fkrogh, help-gnu-emacs

From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 00:13:22 +0100

> [...]
>

> When I open an empty TeX file under the control of AUCTeX, it asks me for the master file. I show it the master file by pressing the RETURN key. I insert your example and get as buffer and file contents:
>
> 	\documentclass{article}
> 	%\usepackage{hyperref}
> 	\begin{document}
> 	\Nothing to see here folks.
> 	\end{document}
>
> 	%%% Local Variables:
> 	%%% TeX-master: t
> 	%%% End:
>
> With the commented line the behaviour is as before: OK. With the uncommented line, the behaviour is as before: not OK!
>
> This is a bug in AUCTeX.  I think so as I already said in my
  emacs librairy designed to parse process output. Maybe not
  really a bug but a non suitable configuration (almost the
  same !)

> It's even two bugs: why does it ask
> me for the master file? The opened file in the buffer is
> *obviously*

  Not for auctex until the local variable TeX-master has not
  being correctly set. But auctex behavior can be customized at
  this point I think.

  P.