Eli Zaretskii wrote: > Does this problem go away if you enlarge the terminal window such that > the entire File and Tools menus can be displayed without overlaying > the mode line? I maximized the xterm before starting Emacs, and still very quickly got into the state where there is a duplicate "--" off to the right of the real menu (same as my "1.png" from earlier). It does seem less common with a bigger terminal though. > Does this happen if you use the menu "reasonably", i.e. without > leaning on arrow keys? So far no, IME. > Does it happen if you use C-p instead of the down arrow? Leaning on C-p produces glitches, yes. Here's a fun one: