all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* What does file-error mean as network process status?
@ 2022-02-04 16:59 emacsq via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: emacsq via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-02-04 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Some of my url-retrieve processes got stuck and when I did an
M-x list-processes, it listed them with the status: file-error

What does file-error mean here? The process-status doc does
not list such a status:

The returned value is one of the following symbols:

run -- for a process that is running.
stop -- for a process stopped but continuable.
exit -- for a process that has exited.
signal -- for a process that has got a fatal signal.
open -- for a network stream connection that is open.
listen -- for a network stream server that is listening.
closed -- for a network stream connection that is closed.
connect -- when waiting for a non-blocking connection to complete.
failed -- when a non-blocking connection has failed.
nil -- if arg is a process name and no such process exists.
PROCESS may be a process, a buffer, the name of a process, or
nil, indicating the current buffer's process.

For a network, serial, or pipe connection, ‘process-status’ returns
one of the symbols ‘open’, ‘stop’, or ‘closed’. The latter means
that the other side closed the connection, or Emacs did
‘delete-process’. The value ‘stop’ means that ‘stop-process’ was
called on the connection.

* Re: What does file-error mean as network process status?
@ 2022-02-04 20:09 ` emacsq
From: emacsq @ 2022-02-04 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> Some of my url-retrieve processes got stuck and when I did an
> M-x list-processes, it listed them with the status: file-error

Apparently, this is connected to the "Process <URL> not running"
errors, because those processes which get this error, have this
file-error status:

e.g:

http://www.bing.com	Process www.bing.com not running

its status:

www.bing.com    --           file-error    *http www.bing.com:80*-148329 --           Main         (network connection to www.bing.com:80)

So it looks like the Process www.bing.com not running error
is thrown, because the process' status is not 'run' which
is checked in process.c:

  if (! EQ (p->status, Qrun))
    error ("Process %s not running", SDATA (p->name));

And it is not 'run' the status is 'file-error' for some reason,
so the process is indicated as not running, but when listing
processes it is listed being in 'file-error' status.

file-error is not a valid project status according to the docs,
so this sounds like a  bug to me. The question is where the process
 status is set to 'file-error' and why?

If I try to delete the process from the process list then its status
goes to 'connect' which also suggests that 'file-error' is some
bogus status.

I don't know how things work internally in emacs, so I'm posting
this in case of someone more knowledgeable can shed a light on this.